XI

«>People cry, not because they're weak, but because they've been strong for too long<»

The mall was massive, darkness hiding much of it. We'd found an old torch, luckily so working, and used it to find our way around. In the end, though, we decided to stay near the centre. If we needed a quick escape, we could slide down the escalators TFIL style and run for cover.

When night did come, we were able to settle down quickly. We found an area to sleep easily, and Jungkook stayed up for a bit to keep watch. He also insisted that I use his lap as a pillow instead of the hard floor, which confused me since he'd never done so before. I didn't object, though. It was comfortable.

As I fell asleep, I could feel his hand stroking my hair and his eyes on my face, but I was too tired to care.

---------------------------------------------------------

When I woke up, Jungkook had fallen asleep. He was leaning at a weird angle so I could still rest my head on his lap, but I moved him so he was more comfortable.

Doing so woke him up.

"Y/N? What are you doing?"

His voice was raspy because he'd just woken up, and I looked him in eyes as I answered.

"You looked uncomfortable. You'll get a crick in your neck if you sleep like that."

In the first few minutes after having woken up, he seemed innocent. He was still sleepy, so he didn't really know what was happening. It was almost cute.

The way he seemed so pure within these few minutes would seem unbelievable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day was spent scouting the place out. Some food had been left under a load of garbage, and we took it without a second thought. Where we'd been last time had a source of food nearby, but we didn't know when we'd get our next meal while staying here. We would take every opportunity at eating that came our way. Water was easier to find, though. Taps were everywhere in town, homeless shelters having provided the supply for those that needed it. 

"Jungkook?"

He looked at me, his previous aura of being incorrupt gone, replaced by his normal personality.

"Yeah?"

"How long are we staying here?"

"As long as necessary."

"How long is necessary?"

"We'll leave when we need to."

"OK."

The escalator kept catching my attention; something about it was off. I was constantly looking at the area around it,  watching the shadows moving and letting my imagination run wild. A large piece of graffiti was also making me uncomfortable, the picture depicting a large clown grinning at me. 

As my eyes travelled from place to place, I grew more fearful. I tried convincing myself that it was just my mind playing tricks on me, but that didn't help. Jungkook seemed on edge too, glancing at the same spot I was on the ground floor. All was silent, which really didn't help, and I strained my ears to try and hear something in the dark. 

I opened my mouth to speak but stopped when someone beat me to it. The voice that rang loud and clear through the place sent shivers down my spine, and I turned to Jungkook, expecting him to have spoken. When I looked at him, though, he seemed just as scared as I was, still staring at the edge of what was visible.

I looked back when the voice spoke again, this time hearing what was said.

"Run."

I jumped up, eyes wide. Jungkook not moving an inch. His hand was wavering over a small blade in his pocket, as though he was considering it. He moved, slowly, to look at me.

As he did so, a loud bang rang, loud and clear, a whistling sound flying past my ear.

That seemed to  give Jungkook a reason to move, him running at full speed toward me. As he passed, he grabbed my arm and pulled, making me run with him.

"They've got a gun!"

It sunk in quickly, my feet moving faster as the adrenaline set in. 

Jungkook, the one that had killed so many, was running for his life.

So was I.

Gun shots echoed all around me, but I kept running. I did my best to move faster, my breath coming in sharp inhalations and exhalations.

I only stopped when one of the bullets I was running from entered my leg.