Chapter Fourteen

Kind of TW? Vague mention of child abuse

Damien sat on his couch drinking bourbon while Anna slept. 

He was deep in thought when Samson opened the door. "Hey man. I have the files on Mallory. Want me to stay while you look over them?" Samson said as he quietly shut the back door. 

"Yeah. Yeah, that would be good" Damien answered rubbing his head.

"No offense dude but you look like shit," Samson said as he handed the box of files to Damien.

"Yeah, I know. It's been a rough day. Want a drink?"

"Yeah, scotch if you have it"

"When do I not have it?" Damien said with a hint of laughter.

Samson picked up the cardboard box and started reading the files he had on top. "Alright, so I found quite a bit on Mallory. Most of it I already had from when I worked a case a few years back. Some of it's new stuff. I put the old stuff on top and the new stuff on the bottom in a sort of timeline."

"Thanks, man. So what's the deal from what you know?" Damien asked, handing Samson the glass of scotch.

"His record started 20 years ago with a domestic violence case against a former girlfriend. She got a restraining order and he did parole for 60 days for beating her. Then 10 years ago he shows up again for another case of domestic abuse and...let's see, attempted manslaughter of his daughter that was reported by the hospital when he stabbed her while he was intoxicated. It was also reported that he apparently molested and physically abused the same daughter but by the time it was reported there was no evidence of the molestation so he couldn't be charged with it, that sick fuck. He got 15 years but got released 5 years early for good behavior about a month ago. He has a warrant for his arrest now for attempting to..uhhh, violate a 7-year-old niece of his and a violation of parole for carrying a firearm, suspected CP, and here we are. So why do you wanna know about him so bad?"

"My little, Anna. We've been together for about a year now. Mallory is her father. I didn't know about any of it until a couple of days ago. He showed up today at the grocery store and tried to talk to her and even tried to grab her. She went bat shit crazy and beat the fuck out of him. He got arrested again today for violating the restraining order she has against him and for the warrants"

"Jesus Fuck Damien. Why didn't you tell me on the phone?"

Damien started to tear up, "I just...I don't know what to fucking do man. She's so broken. She's hurt. She can't talk to me. She could barely stay awake. She fell asleep when we left the grocery store and hasn't even moved from where I laid her down and that was 3 hours ago. She was crying in her sleep but I couldn't wake her up. I don't know what the fuck to do. But I know I need to do something"

"Fuck man. Do you want me to send a psychiatrist over to talk to her? See if she's okay? We have them at the bureau on standby if we need them. This is related to his case that's now open again so it's not gonna be a problem sending one over" Samson offered.

"I think that's a good idea. Yeah, do that. But I just, I don't think she's gonna be okay again until he's gone."

"What do you mean gone, Bailey?"

"You know what the fuck I mean Samson."

"I don't do that shit anymore. You know I don't. I can't. I can't be involved in it."

"Then you might want to leave because I have to. I have to do what I need to make her alright again. I have to."

"You don't have to be alone in this. I'll bring over Kat the psychiatrist tomorrow when Anna is awake. Just call me when she wakes up. It's alright man. It's gonna be alright. Just be patient that we have this covered, alright?" Samson said as he patted Damien on the back.

"Alright. But I swear to god if he isn't dealt with I'll do it myself."

"I know Damien. I promise you we will fix this. He's got plenty on him, I'm sure he'll get his ass handed to him in prison. You know how they are with child molesters. I'll try to get him put in gen pop" Samson said as he grabbed his messenger bag and headed out of the front door. "I'll see you tomorrow. Get some sleep and don't do anything stupid, please."

"Alright. Goodnight. See you tomorrow." He gestured as Samson shut the door.

Damien stood looking through the files for thirty more minutes. Looking over every detail of the abuse his little girl endured.

"AHHHHHH" he screamed as he threw the glass of bourbon at the wall, causing it to completely shatter. A few moments later he heard crying coming from upstairs. He ran up the stairs and into the bedroom to find Anna sitting up with her knees up against her chest, sobbing uncontrollably.

"No, no, no little one don't cry. Look daddy's here. You're safe."

"W-what w-w-was that noise?" Anna stuttered through her sobs.

"Daddy dropped a cup on the floor is all." He lied.

"Are y-you ok-okay?" She whispered trying to catch her breath.

"Yes, baby girl I'm fine. Are you okay?"

"N-no no I'm not. I just w-w-want to sleep pl-please"

"Alright baby. Do you want me to stay with you?"

"N-no I wanna s-sleep alone"

"Alright baby girl. I'll be right downstairs if you need me okay? Just yell and I'll be right here." He said as he laid her back in the bed and tucked her in.

"Okay. Goodnight."

"Goodnight baby. I love you"

"Love you," she said as she drifted off to sleep.