Touch

Annie held him a bit longer as they stared into the pitch-black night. Neither of them are saying anything about what's going on in Annie's mind but, nothing was to be said. It was around 3 in the morning when she awoke and Armin decided that neither of them were going to fall asleep after this.

"Annie.." He kissed her damp forehead and rubbed the side of her shoulder. "Come on."

She looked up in a daze to see his silhouette move from the bed. A hit guilt stung a part of her. Her problems are also his. If these nightmares and mental issues are going to be a problem then, they're also Armin's.

"Armin..." Annie gripped the bed sheet under her palm in frustration as a tear fell down her cheek. "I-I'm.. I'm sorry..."

The bed shifted as he felt him get back on the bed and move closer slowly. "Don't be," he whispered in her right ear, "...everything I have said in the past about us still remains. My heart is yours Annie.."

The blonde's breath caught, "I've only hurt you. I left you."

"You came back."

Annie leaned away from his voice. "What if I have no choice but to leave." Right when the words left her mouth, she realized what was said.

"...then leave."

A silence echoed through the room. What felt like hours, was merely minutes before Annie stood up off the bed. She reached over to turn on the lamp to see something she won't ever forget. She saw him. But, he was... crying.

Annie quickly shut her eyes and turned her back to him. Not to look away, to burn the mental image that she hurt him. Armin didn't deserve what he was getting. But, it had to be done and this is the hardest decision she would ever make. Obviously nothing could be helped at this point or even stopped. She's only causing pain to herself and to the loved ones around her. 

The titan shifter couldn't tell him the truth. 

The love of his life is leaving.

...

Armin knew that it wasn't him. He did everything he could to help. His heart was still in Annie's hands. Even as she turned away from him. When she packed her bag and changed at 4 in the morning. His wife didn't want to tell him exactly what was going on in her mind, which was fine. There were just some things that Armin couldn't help. He couldn't fix what was broken.

"Mom loves you."

He heard Annie whisper. She stood so beautifully with her hair in a long braid, bent over the cribs of her twins. Tears stained their blankets when suddenly, he had to ask, "Why?"

Annie stopped at a half way turn before putting the hood up on her cape.  Of course she wouldn't want to look him in the eyes. "...I don't... I don't know."

There it was. That same feeling he had when she left the first time. This wasn't like that though and it angered him. Why? As much as he tried to accept that fact that maybe she just needed to time to herself, he didn't want to be alone. He thought everything was fine. Their twins and lives have been just fine. Why didn't he notice that she was hurting this whole time? Was it her new life? Does she not like it?

"I don't want to see you. I don't know what triggered you to be so unhappy. Did you not love the life you have?" Armin stared at the ground with hurt eyes. "Was I not good enough for you?" So much confusion was in his head that he couldn't grasp if this actually real.

A second after his last question her hand grabbed his and placed down two items.

"Bye."

Tears blurred his vision and saw the boots of her leave behind him. Doors shut before he realized that she left. No explanation, no nothing, and this time, he had to sit back and watch her leave. Armin clenched his fists. Fell to the ground on his knees, long swipes of hair cascading his shoulders and sticking to his face from the tears. That same pain. A burning touch to his soul where his heart should be. Annie took it with her.

The blonde haired man opened his palm to see the ring and necklace.