Thirty Six ~ Borgin

Once again Aggie climbed into the cabinet only to be disappointed; she was not in a memory of Raymond and Fay, but that same desert Draco had been to before. Aggie coffee as she inhaled sand which was blowing about on the wind. Then suddenly everything went black. Aggie felt herself spinning, then everything brightened and Aggie found herself in the top part of Borgin and Burke's.

Fay was no where insight, but there was Raymond, kneeling on the ground in front of the Vanishing Cabinet. Or what would soon be the Vanishing Cabinet. This must have been an earlier memory that the last for the cabinet wasn't fully constructed yet.

Raymond was just raising his wand to tap the cabinet when a deep voice said, "Raymond Borgin, what do you think you're doing?"

Raymond jumped and dropped his wand as he looked around.

There was a middle aged man standing in the door way. He was incredibly tall and skinny with prematurely gray hair and a gaunt face. He was looking at Raymond with suspicion.

Raymond jumped to his feet. He seemed to be shielding the Vanishing Cabinet. "Father!" said Raymond.

"Everyone else is downstairs," said Raymond's father. "Celebrating." He said the word celebrating like it made him feel sick. "What are you doing up here all alone?"

"Nothing," said Raymond a little to hastily. "Just building a . . . bookshelf."

Raymond's father arched a thick eyebrow. "Is that so? Well it's Christmas. You should be spending it with your family."

"Really?" said Raymond. He stood and Aggie saw that his facial expression had suddenly hardened. "Then where is Fay, may I ask?"

Raymond's father's expression darkened. "It's in its room like it should be."

"It? It?" said Raymond in a tone of voice. He took a step toward his father. "Fay is not an it."

Aggie was eager to see what happened next, but at that moment the room went dark and Aggie was dumped back out in to the Room of Requirement.

"Borgin!" said Aggie as she stumbled to a stop in front Draco.

"Borgin," repeated Aggie. "His name is Raymond Borgin!"

"You found out his last name?" said Draco. His grey face didn't look so tired anymore. "Brilliant. I figured he must be related to either Borgin or Burke, but I couldn't be sure. The Borgin's — though they've pretty much died out by now — were always friendly with the Malfoy's. I'm sure my father —" Draco paused, his expression suddenly strained. "Well, I'm sure I can find out what happened to Raymond Borgin."

This information came as a great relief. It was the day before Holiday break. Now that they knew Raymond's full name, they might be able to actually enjoy Christmas.

They finished up for the night, and, Slytherin and Ravenclaw side by side, they walked away from the Room of Requirement.

"So," said Draco. He paused a moment and glanced at Aggie. "What are you doing for the Holidays?"

Aggie couldn't have been more startled. She blinked at Draco.

"Oh, er, just going home." There was another moments silence then she asked, "W-what about you?"

"Going home," said Draco. He looked displeased. "I wanted to stay here but my mother insisted. I suppose it's a good thing now; I can try and find out who Raymond is. And where —"

Draco froze, looking alert.

There was a distant voice calling, "What is it my pretty? Are there students about who shouldn't be?"

"Filch," Draco hissed.

He grabbed Aggie's arm, and shoved her inside a nearby classroom. Draco was about to follow when Filch's voice called, "Oi! You!"

Draco slammed the door shut, but he was still outside in the hallway.

It was a moment before Aggie realized Draco was protecting her.

Anxiously Aggie pressed herself up against the door and listened.

"What do you think you're doing out of bed, boy? You can't be out of bed unless you've got permission," growled Filch.

"I do," said Draco immediately. "I was going to Slughorns party but . . . I was late setting out."

Aggie knew she should probably go out, stand by Draco's side, support his story (they were in this together) but she was too afraid. Besides, what was the point in them both getting in trouble?

"Going to Slughorns party were you?" dressed like that?" Aggie could hear the glee in the caretakers voice. "Ah, aren't you in trouble?"

"It's just a little party," said Draco. "I didn't see any point in getting all dressed up."

"Come along then," said Filch. "Let's go to see Professor Slughorn and see what he has to say about this!"

"What? Why?" said Draco, he suddenly sounded slightly panicked. "I'll just go to bed now. Wouldn't you prefer it if I did?"

"No I wouldn't!" said Filch. "Come along."

Aggie listened to Draco's protests until his voice had completely died away, and she was left alone in the dark classroom with only the sound of her breathing.

What was she supposed to do now? Should she help Draco? Aggie decided it would only make it worse if she were to follow him. She couldn't stay here all night. Who knew if Draco would even come back?

But Aggie couldn't make herself leave. It felt wrong. Draco had allowed himself to get into trouble, but he had made sure she did not. Leaving didn't seem like the right way to repay him.

Aggie waited in the cold, uncomfortable classroom. She waited and waited, and was just thinking Draco wasn't coming back, when the door creaked open.

"Aggie?" whispered a voice.

Aggie saw Draco's pale face illuminated by blue wandlight. He didn't look happy. Aggie got to her feet.

"You're still here," he said.

Aggie nodded then asked, "What happened?"

Draco shook his head. "Not very much. My Head of House thinks I'm up to something." Draco sounded sour. "But never mind that. I'm tired and must sleep."