Prologue

It seemed to drop about twenty degrees in the few seconds I allowed myself to sit in the large dorm room.

My hands gripped the small nightstand beside me so hard that I could feel the corners of it digging into my palms. My heart was racing, my lips moving silently.

Then there was him, Cameron Mendoza, standing in the middle of the room with a horrified expression of fear and agony.

He looked older, more mature.

His chocolate locks had grown out to a length where they had started to curl around the bottom of his ears. His eyes, once kind and loving, were cold and fearful, wide and expectant.

"Can I interrupt this uncomfortable silence with the question I know we're dying to hear the answer to?" My roommate, Sienna Hall asked, "You two know each other?"

Robbie gave her a pointed look and nudged her slightly with his elbow, a frown curving his lips downward.

"Well?" Sienna tried again, earning another nudge and look out from her boyfriend. She gave him a dark look herself before turning her attention back to me.

"Yeah." I managed to choke out, avoiding Cam's wandering eyes. "We were childhood friends."

Sienna gave me a skeptical look, then glanced over at Cam with the same look, her lips pursed.

"You sure that's it? Just childhood friends?" One of her eyebrows shot up, "You weren't super secret lovers?"

"No." I answered before she could go on any further.

I could feel the hurt radiating off of Cam before I turned back to find it etched into his face, his eyes. He looked as if I had just hit him with a truck and continued to run him over repeatedly. Now he understood how it felt.

"I better go." Cam started toward the door, but Robbie caught his arm.

"Bro, what's going on? You okay?" Cam casted a long look at me over his shoulder before shutting his eyes and returning back to his new and improved best friend.

"Fine, man. I'm fine." Then he tore his arm from the shorter boy's grip and stalked out the open door, letting it shut loudly behind him.

The room stayed silent for a while, still feeling as if someone had put the AC on full blast. My lips trembled as I blinked away the tears that threatened to escape my eyes.

"He wasn't just a friend, was he?" To my surprise it wasn't Sienna in front of me, but her boyfriend. His ruffled mess of dark hair in his eyes.

"Blake." This time it was Sienna, her voice soft as she approached me, her hand on my shoulder, "You don't have to tell us, but understand that we're here for you, okay?" I nodded, thanking them with a tight, wavering smile.

I started to push myself up from the chair, and with Robbie's help, made it across the room to my bed. I brushed my hand along the indent of the mattress, where Cam had been moments ago. My Cam.

The same Cameron Mendoza who had taught me how to ride a bike and swim, the same guy that had helped our Dads build a treehouse and helped me keep tallies of every year we spent up there. The same guy that used to write in our journal, things he could never say aloud. The same Cameron I held in eighth grade after he got his heart broken for the first time.

The same Cam I had let have my already fractured heart, the one that had gotten me pregnant and had promised me the world before he left.

The same Cameron Mendoza that had left me alone, helpless with my hands behind my back after my high school graduation.

"How about we help you unpack and head down to Cater's Comics a few blocks away. There's a cafe in there and everything." Sienna suggested, coming up behind me and unzipping my duffel bag and suitcase. I nodded, and after a few seconds, Robbie walked over and started to help as well.

It wasn't until I pulled out the scrapbook Cam had made of us that I tossed it beneath the bed and blinked away my tears before they could resurface again.

I couldn't let him affect me, not anymore. This was my college experience, my life. And soon, it wouldn't even be that, it would be about my daughter.

Cameron Mendoza had broke my heart and left me in the dark to try and reassemble it. 

***AN***

So, what did you guys think? 

Let me know! I'd love to hear it! 

~ChasingMadness24