Part of That World

"So there's an art show this weekend down at Village Square and I was wondering if you might want to accompany me?"

Kai's voice was so soft, nervous, that I couldn't help but smile in response it. I had grown so accustom to Cam's straightforward, blunt attitude that it was nice to hear a guy on the nervous side for once.

"You mean as a date or a friend?" I asked, rubbing circles on Cassidy's back as I burped her. Kai was perched on the edge of Sienna's bed, his Canon sitting on his lap.

"My parents can't make it." He said, "I mean, I don't want to force anything on you right now, Blake. You've got a lot on your plate, the last thing you need is a boyfriend."

I smiled, watching Cassidy kick her feet and reach for me with her small hands as she gurgled, ready to start crying. I picked her up and rested her small body against my shoulder blade and neck. I felt her hands grip the hem of my shirt as I lifted my head back up to nod in Kai's direction.

"If I can find her a babysitter and-"

"She could come if you can't. I mean, I know you're not supposed to take infants into public places, loud ones at that, but it may be good for her immune system, you know." He shrugged, then shook his head as if he thought he was going into another one of his rambling sessions again.

"Yeah, of course. I'd love to go. Is your work being displayed?" I asked.

"Yeah. Quite a bit of it actually." I grinned at the response.

"That's great, Kai. You deserve it. Your work is wonderful." He returned my grin with a goofy smile and lifted his camera up, catching me mid smile before I could stop him.

"Kai!" I gasped, turning my face away, "I told you not to take pictures of me."

"But you're beautiful and a new mother, two things people love." He headed for the door, "I'll send you over a couple copies of the pictures I took of Cass and you before the baby shower tonight. See you later."

*

Sienna, Robbie, and I ended up pushing the beds together and toward the back of the room to prepare for the shower. Sienna, to my relief, talked up a storm, being the conversationalist she is. I could feel Robbie's eyes burning into the side of my head on occasion, but he never said anything. Not until Sienna had left the room to bring everyone back here.

"Are you inviting him?" Robbie's look paralyzed me where I stood. If looks could freaking kill.

"I didn't really think about-"

"I'm sure you didn't." he sighed, "Do you want him here or not?"

I looked toward Cassidy in her swing, her eyes wide with a beautiful childlike wonder as she stared up at the buttons above her. My mind went back to last weekend, to the way Cam had tried so desperately to be there for her.

"Is he drinking?" I questioned instead of answering him.

"Don't know. Why don't you call and ask?" I had programed Cam's new number into my phone Friday night, but hadn't called or sent a text to the number. Would he even answer?"

"Hello?" the voice was tired. That was a good sign that he wasn't hammered.

"Cameron? It's Blake." I heard a sharp intake of breath on the other end.

"Hey. Is everything okay?" Worry was evident in his voice.

"Yeah, Cassidy's fine." I answered, "We're throwing her a belated baby shower today and I was wondering, if you weren't busy, if you might want to join us?" I gripped the phone tightly in my hands, praying that he'd tell me he had other plans.