Expect The Unexpected When You Least Expect it

"Do you ever get lonely?"

I shift nervously on the white couch, most of my weight on my good leg as I stare at the degree on the wall behind the middle aged woman in front of me.

"I don't understand the question." I whispered, keeping my eyes everywhere but her. I could see her running a hand through her graying dark hair as she thought about another way to approach me.

"I believe the question is self-explanatory, Miss Hart." she responded quietly, "Do you ever feel lonely? Isolated? Do you ever have desires of more human contact?"

"Are you asking if I ever feel like I need to have sex?" I questioned, blinking in surprise.

"Not exactly, Ma'am. I'm just trying to figure out-"

"I told my family that I didn't need therapy. I'm not just going to pay you to listen to my problems. That's what my friends are for." I focused on trying to get up, but the woman made a gesture toward the door and Cam walked in, rubbing his forehead.

"Our session is over for today. Mr. Mendoza can escort you out." I nodded, letting out a breath of relief to hear that I didn't have to sit in this bright room for any longer.

Cam moved to my side, nearly support all my weight as he grabbed my crutch. After a second of silence, he smiled encouragingly, "I'm in desperate need of ice cream. How do you feel about that?"

*

We had been going to personal and group therapy for a week now. Cam seemed to be taking it all in, as well as letting it all out. I could see improvements in him. In the way he spoke, always offering to take care of Cassidy and my needs before his own. The way he stood, straighter now, as if he was starting to regain the confidence of the Cameron Mendoza I had known in high school. He even seemed to be trying to face his demons head on for the first time in his entire life. Even though I could see him straining to do so, I could also see small, even if they were almost non-existent, improvements.

"Sienna." Cam broke the comfortable silence now as he sat on the edge of my bed. My roommate frowned, a few locks of her brown hair falling loose from the tight ponytail it was in.

"Yes?" she sounded annoyed.

She had sounded annoyed for the last few weeks. I wanted to say it was exams and finals she was trying to get in on time. That she was just sleep deprived and would be back to the same quirky, big eyed and smiling girl I'd met a month ago.

"I was wondering if I could have a second alone with Blake?" Cam didn't seem to be phased by her bad attitude, or if he had, he hadn't shown any sign of it.

"Sure, yeah. Whatever." she stood up, closing her laptop and setting her books on her messy bed beside her. I watched in silence as she stood up, eyes on the door ahead of her distant.

"Blake, do you-"

"It's okay." I cut her off, knowing very well what she had been about to ask, "Thanks for asking though."

Cam let out a loud whistle once she was gone, leaning forward so his body was hovering over Cassidy in her swing.

"What's going on with her?" he questioned quietly, his eyes drifting back to me.

"No idea." I sighed, "I'm guessing it's one of three things. Insomnia, her and Robbie are on the rocks, or she's pregnant."

"Pregnant?" Cam looked amused, "Do you have some sort of six sense that allows you to know when another woman is pregnant or a pregnant woman is near you?" he looked so genuinely curious that I couldn't help but laugh.