It Feels Like The First Time

"I want you to let them help you."

Cam kept his eyes trained on his burger as he spoke, his head moving from side to side.

"What do you mean?" I knew exactly what he meant.

"The therapists, Blake. They want to help you." he lifted his head, "I know you're ornery and hard headed, but you can only take so much before you reach your breaking point." I lowered my head in disgust.

I was relieved when Cassidy started kicking around in her stroller, her giggling momentarily distracting Cam from there serious conversation.

"Do you want attention?" he asked in a high pitched voice, reaching down to tickle her stomach, "Does Cass want attention?"

I smiled as I picked at my food, my appetite barely apparent. I hadn't been able to eat for the last few weeks, but had forced things down for Cassidy, even if I threw it back up later.

"Daddy wants attention to." Cam leaned over our daughter's stroller and smiled, "But he still has to prove to Mommy that he's worthy of attention. You're lucky, Cass, all you have to do is giggle or cry and you have Mama's attention." she giggled again, as if she found whatever Cam was saying hilarious.

"Cam, honey." I reached across the table and rested my hand on top of his, "She doesn't understand you."

He gave me a skeptical look in return, lips curving into a smirk as he turned back to Cassidy, tickling her stomach again.

"You hear that? Mommy doesn't think you understand me. She's wrong. You understand everything." A strained laugh left me as I watched them.

Cameron, with his head bowed over her stroller, a goofy smile I only saw on his face around our daughter, stretching even further across it. Cassidy, her small hand wrapping around Cam's index finger as she stared back at him with eyes identical to his own.

As I sat there, watching the two of them and joining in occasionally when I could, I realized that maybe there was a chance this whole family thing could work.

*

I studied for a History final as Cam watched an old Princess movie with Cassidy on his chest, sprawled out along my bed.

I had planned on studying with Seinna since we took the class together, but she had been in out all week. I was sure she was trying to figure things out with Robbie, but the more I saw her, the more I noticed the little changes in her.

The way her eyes looked heavy even when she did nothing but lay in bed and watch Netflix all day. The way she could devour a whole container of Chinese and half of mine. Of course there were also the mood swings. I had accidentally woke her up a few days ago by kicking Cassidy's swing, sending the music on and a pillow thrown at me from across the room.

The way she was acting lead me to believe that she was pregnant. But there were other things that were against that theory. For instance, she didn't have morning sickness, she hadn't thrown up since that night Robbie had brought her back from the club. She didn't seem to be getting bigger, at least from what I could tell. She usually wore oversized male shirts or Robbie's flannels.

"You okay?" Cam's foot touched my back, prompting me to turn around and look at him.

"Yeah. Just thinking." I replied.

"About what?"

"Sienna." I knew I had to go into detail or he'd get himself all worked up and worried.