The Start of My First Friendship

It was a typical sunny day outside and I was playing the organ on the fourth floor. Sometimes the no armed man and/or the bearded woman would come up to listen. They told me it was a nice change to have lovely music being played since it has been silent for all the years they have been here. I have asked to play a song for a show instead of getting hit one time, but I ended up getting a lecture to appreciate what I already have.

I see a group of men come up the stairs with violins in the corner of my eye. There were about five or six of them. Each one of them had silky hair that was almost down to their shoulders and they were wearing black suits. They looked like they were going to a ball. As I stare, I continue to play my song. The youngest one out of them all who seemed about nineteen years old looked at me in awe.

"Devil's Child, stop playing right now," The tall man who is in charge of the building ordered me. That was what he called me since my mom never gave me a proper name. Devil's Child was the only label I had.

"Sorry Monsieur," I whispered as I quickly drew my hands away from the keyboard.

"Devil's Child, say hello to the violinists who will be playing a song for our show tonight," He said.

"Hello." I waved at them with a shy smile. I got jealous because when I asked to play a song the only thing I got was demands. I was a fool to think he would let a child perform a song. My horrible face is all he wanted to show when it came to me.

"I will let you perform a song when you're much older," The tall guy sighed in annoyance. Even as an adult, I still can't tell if he read my mind or not at that moment. I still sometimes question it today.

"My dear boy, you have quite an ear for music," gasped the violinist who was looking at me.

"Thank you." I made sure my mask was on tightly because so far he viewed me as a normal talented kid. That is all I wanted to be in life. If he saw a tiny bit of my deformity he might've change his mind and think of me as a monster like everyone else.

"Tell me, who is your teacher?" The violinist asked.

"Nobody Monsieur. I taught myself."

His jaw dropped and eyes widened from astonishment. This was the first person in my entire life that noticed me for my music and, let me tell you, it felt amazing. I smiled brightly as he walked up closer to me. He kneeled down and grabbed my arms. He looked into my eyes with so much cheer.

"Would you like me to teach you more about music?" He whispered. This was the greatest thing that has happened to me for the four months of living in this hellhole.

"Yes! Oh my goodness yes!" I shouted. He chuckled as he saw the happiness in my eyes.

"You're one joyful little guy aren't you?"

"I'm usually not but now I am."

"I'm glad to make you happy. Would you like our first lesson to be tomorrow at noon?"

"Sure."

"Sounds great. Now I better start rehearsal or else my friends will be missing me." I do have to say, this musician did have a funny sense of humor.

"Okay. What's your name by the way?" I asked.

"Oh sorry, I forgot to tell you. I'm such a thoughtless guy. I disrupt your beautiful organ playing without even telling you who I am. My name is Gustave. Gustave Daae."