The Next Morning

I sat in the cafeteria at my usual table as I reflected on what happened the other day at the wedding. I wasn't sure if anyone noticed I left so suddenly, after all, they were all totally focused on Gustave and Mary forming their marriage with their kiss. The last thing they would have wanted to see was a little child running away while he held his hand on top of his mouth so nobody could hear him cry. It still does make me wonder, what did Gustave think of my absence? Did he pick up on the fact that I left so immediately?

"You alright?" The no armed guy asked. He must have read my mind or something.

"Yeah, I guess," I mumbled a bit abruptly. The lady and man looked at me with a lot of confusion.

"Didn't you play a song at your friend's wedding?" The bearded woman asked. I sighed in frustration which clearly gave the two of them the idea that something didn't go as planned with the performance.

I continued to play with my food with my fork in silence. I felt like I needed to give Mary and Gustave an explanation. The only problem is that I would have to tell them why I lived in that building. Here was my thinking: I would tell them about my purpose at the fairs, then I would have to reveal my face, and my face would scare them. The fear my face brings people is unreal. I was worried they wouldn't talk to me ever again.

That was when Gustave sat down next to me at my table," Hey Erik. Can I speak with you when you're done?" I wasn't expecting him to drop by. I honestly thought he was going to spend the day relaxing with his new wife.

"Yeah, actually, I'm not very hungry. I can talk now," I said. I picked up my uneaten food and threw it in the trash. I took him to a quiet corner in the room so we can get some privacy.

"I noticed you left early from the wedding," Gustave started," You looked like you were about to burst into tears. Are you okay?" Oh crap, he saw me.

"It's a long story," I answered.

"I got time."

"It's also a boring story. You don't want to hear it."

"You can tell me anything. How long have we been friends?"

"A few months now."

"Yeah, exactly."

"I've got problems that I'm working with. Lets just leave it at that."

He stared at me with a very sturdy eye as if he is trying to look through my soul. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable. I looked away from him so I can break the eye contact that was building guilt inside me.

"Please you can tell me anything. I need to know what is torturing you so badly. It's starting to concern me more than anything," He pleaded.

I so desperately wanted to scream what my mom and the people in the fair did to me. The urge in my throat was crawling up my neck and into my mouth. However, I refused to let it escape. I refused to tell him. In that case, I closed my mouth shut tightly. I just stood there with the pain clawing inside me. This clearly wasn't healthy but I wasn't going to risk my friendship with Gustave.

"I'm sorry I left early," I whispered. It was the only proper thing I could think of to tell him.

The firmness in Gustave slowly dissolved into pity. He looked at me as if he was trying to reassure himself that I would be okay. Yet another part of him knew I wasn't alright and desperately wanted to know what my problem was.

"Congratulations to your marriage. Mary is the loveliest woman I have ever met," I said with a smile to cheer him up.

He didn't smile back but he did thank me. He then told me how people at the wedding said I performed as beautiful as an angel. Someone even called me the angel of music.