Chapter 5

Staring into the closet, Hermione fretted over what to wear. That evening would be her first time seeing Molly and Arthur since she had fled to the states. She was nervous about to what to expect, at least from Molly. Arthur was an understanding man and she didn't expect him to hold a grudge against her. Molly could be slightly more stubborn, especially when it came down to someone hurting a member of her family.

Hermione finally settled on a yellow sundress and heeled, white sandals. She grabbed a white cardigan, for when the sun went down. The humidity had finally moved out, allowing milder temperatures to set in. She pulled one side of her hair back in a flower clip and kept her makeup simple- a quick swipe of eyeshadow and her favorite cherry lip gloss.

Harry was in his office, catching up on some last minute paperwork, before dinner. Ginny was curled up on his couch, reading a book. They both glanced up when Hermione peeked her head in.

"I'm going to head to The Burrow a little early," Hermione informed. "I'll see you guys there, okay?"

"Sure," Ginny answered, her brow furrowing. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I thought I'd pop in early and feel out your mum's temperament. That way, if she wants to murder me she can get it over with first thing and not have to ruin the dinner."

Harry rolled his eyes and Ginny smiled. "I've told you, my mum has nothing against you. She loves you and asks about you all the time. I know she'll be ecstatic to see you. Go on, we'll be there soon."

Hermione nodded and headed for the front yard. She apparated to the end of The Burrow's dirt lane. Pausing for a moment, Hermione gazed up at the multi-storied cottage that had once been her second home. From the outside, it looked exactly the same as the last time she had seen it; slightly leaning in places, with various chimneys piercing the sky, and candlelight softly illuminating the windows. She could hear the small babbling creek, flowing in the distance, mingling with clucking chickens. The breeze brought promise of steak and kidney pie in the oven.

Hermione's stomach rumbled. It had been so long since she'd had a proper steak and kidney pie. She had tried to recreate the dish in New York, but could never cook one to rival her former mother in-law's.

With a deep breath, Hermione held her head up high and started striding up the lane. Making her way to the back garden, she saw three enlarged picnic tables, cloaked in red linen tablecloths. She spied a few fat gnomes, waddling out from underneath the tables, only to jump into the middle of a thick rhododendron bush. The sounds of clanging pots and Molly's humming floated from the house.

The top half of the Dutch door was wide open. Hermione timidly approached it, softly rapping three times. Molly's humming ceased as she leaned around the corner.

"Oh my stars!" Molly cried, wiping soap suds on her apron. "Since when does Hermione Granger knock at this house? Come in dear, come in!"

Hermione hesitantly opened the door and stepped into the warm kitchen. She was instantly engulfed by Molly's tight embrace. Flooded with relief, Hermione wrapped her arms around Molly's waist and placed her chin on Molly's shoulder.

"I'm sorry," Hermione whispered, tears creeping into her eyes.

"Whatever for sweetheart?" Molly asked, leaning back to peer into Hermione's eyes.

"For...everything, I guess."

Molly led her to the kitchen table and coaxed her into a chair. She summoned a pitcher of water and poured out a glass, sliding it into Hermione's hand.

"There's nothing to apologize for," Molly insisted, sliding into the seat across from Hermione.

"But there is." Hermione took a sip of her water and swiped the tears from her eyes. "I shut you guys out and I shouldn't have," she admitted. "I got your letter, shortly after I moved. I wanted to write you back, but I didn't know what to say. I kept telling myself to write back, write back! But eventually I left it too long and it got to the point where I felt it would be silly to write back. I've gotten pretty good at talking myself in circles, without coming to any productive resolutions."