Chapter 1 - Dreams

"I have the power to take away all of your hopes and dreams. I advise that you do not anger me."

Connor awoke with a start at a loud click behind him. Paper flew from his desk and scattered on the carpet. Still a little dazed, Connor swiveled in his chair to see where the click had come from. Stood in the bedroom doorway was a dark silhouette of a woman, holding a camera to her eye. Connor's heart skipped a beat and he gasped. He sat rigid in his chair, afraid of the intruder. The silhouette lowered her camera and flicked on the light. She began to laugh.

"You looked so scared!"

It was Ingrid. Her red hair was tangled and messy, and she wore a light pink night gown. She looked as if she had just crawled out of bed, but somehow she was wide awake and cheery. Connor leaned back in his chair, relieved. He lifted his arm and looked at his watch. It was around 3am.

"What are you doing up at this time?" asked Connor.

"I woke up and noticed you weren't there. I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to get a photo," explained Ingrid, holding up her camera and waving it at him.

"Photo? What of?"

Ingrid rolled her eyes and chuckled.

"Of you, silly! You've been falling asleep at your desk for two weeks now. I think that sleeping people give off a really cool atmosphere. It's like you see the person as they really are, when there's no consciousness to hide their feelings. I'd like to paint something like that, and I wanted a photo to work off. If you don't mind, of course."

"It's fine," Connor replied with a yawn.

"You should stop writing so late at night. It's not good for you," exclaimed Ingrid, bending down to pick up some of the paper.

"But I work during the day. I don't really have much time other than at night."

"Come on, Connor! You've only had this job for a month and your boss is already sick of you making mistakes! You need your sleep. You can write at the weekends."

Not wanting to argue anymore, Connor said nothing. Instead he got up from his chair and started to help Ingrid pick up the paper. He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up.

"Don't worry. I'll clean up, you go to bed."

Ingrid kissed him lightly on the cheek and took the paper from him. With a grateful smile, Connor got to his feet and made his way into the bedroom. Closing the door behind him, he undressed himself and climbed into bed. The window was shut, and the curtains were drawn to cover it. The whole room was deadly silent.

It was easy for Connor to fall asleep again, but he soon wished he hadn't. The events at Dark Sunshine haunted his dreams, and had done ever since he had last been there. It was months later, and still the dreams were as vivid as ever. Carrie's riddles, laughing and creepy grin were all that his sleeping mind could show him. Early on he had expressed his fears to Ingrid. She had told him that it was normal after such experiences, and that they would go away soon. Of course, she didn't know what Carrie had said to him.

"I will come to collect my price, one day."