Chapter 15 - Making a Move

"Now, just let me put this on you... Yes, there we go. Does that not feel nice? I bet you can already feeling those troublesome emotions starting to go away."

Connor felt someone shake his shoulder, jolting him suddenly from his sleep. It was a harsh touch and for a moment Connor felt a wave of panic. But as his eyes flew open, he was relieved to be greeted by a familiar face.

"Connor, we need to talk."

Ingrid was crouched over him as he lay on the sofa, her hand placed firmly on his shoulder. Sunlight streamed through the window of the apartment and the TV had gone into standby mode. Connor realised that he must have fallen asleep watching it and tried to sit up. But Ingrid's hand still gripped his shoulder - and quite tightly, he noticed.

"Ingrid? What is it?" he asked her, prying her hand away.

Angrily Ingrid stood up, folding her arms and frowning. But her displeasure didn't seem to be directed at him, more so at herself. She dropped heavily onto the sofa next to Connor after he had sat up properly, her arms still folded. For a moment she said nothing, and Connor wondered what was troubling her so much.

"I can't stand this any longer," she muttered simply.

"What?"

"This! I can't just sit in this apartment and wait for a solution to magically come to us! I just can't, Connor. I get the feeling that whatever Carrie is planning, it's close to happening. We need to make our move, or we'll have no chance."

Her eyes filled with frustrated tears and she wiped them away viciously, taking a deep breath to steady herself.

"What makes you think that?" prompted Connor.

"I don't know. I just... do. I can't explain it. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I understand. What should our move be?"

Ingrid stood up and began to pace in front of Connor. Her brow furrowed with thought and Connor felt that if he made even the slightest sound, he would ruin it. He found himself holding his breath.

With a sudden look of determination Ingrid stopped. She turned to Connor.

"I know that we agreed not to pull them into this again, but I think that we need Andrew and Jodie's help. We can't do this alone anymore."

"But I thought that Jodie was out of town? Do you really think that Andrew will want to help us? He's not really the 'teamwork' type," said Connor skeptically.

"Probably not, but it's worth a shot. What've we got to lose?"