Chapter 17 - Comforting Darkness

"Jacob? Will you not get up? ... It seems that my puzzle has wandered too far into the darkness. No matter. You may stay there, Jacob, if you so wish. I will do this myself, then. I always find that I work better alone."

Before Ingrid could complete her second knock, the door of the apartment swung open. To her surprise, the face that greeted her was Jodie, not Andrew. But this was not a reunion to cherish; Jodie's face was masked with fear. It was not a fear of Ingrid, however, but of life itself, and the seemingly endless pain that she had endured. Ingrid could see that clearly.

Her bottom lip quivered slightly. A jet black stream of hair flowed across her shoulders and down her back, shapeless and unstyled. The little makeup she wore was sloppy and her eyeliner dripped as if she had been crying. She turned her head away, looking behind her into the dimly lit apartment.

"It's them."

Her voice was raspy, and Ingrid cringed at the sound. The Jodie she knew was sarcastic but cheery - this was not her. Jodie stepped back from the door timidly, bowing her head so that her hair fell in front of her eyes. Andrew took her place, giving her a worried glance before he spoke.

"Thanks for coming. I really- uh, she really needs your help." he said in a hushed tone.

Ingrid smiled sadly, wishing that they could have been talking under better circumstances.

"I know. We'll do all we can, I promise."

"Come in," invited Andrew with a grateful smile, moving out of the way.

Ingrid entered, closely followed by Connor. As soon as Andrew closed the door, Jodie threw her arms around Ingrid. This shocked her, and she stumbled under the sudden weight. Andrew watched from a distance. Out of the corner of her eye, Ingrid could see the desperation on his face.

This hug was supposed to be for him.

Swiftly she withdrew, not wanting to cause Andrew anymore heartbreak. She could empathise with him, for she had experienced the same with Connor. To see your other half show you no feelings of affection was almost unbearable.

"Let's talk," she announced, breaking through the depressing silence that had fallen between them.

Andrew nodded, leading them to the main living area. As he walked, he tried in a feeble effort to hold Jodie's hand - Ingrid's head grew hot at the sight as she pulled away from him. Connor sighed next to her, clearly having seen it too. Ingrid struggled to stay in the present moment, as her mind unwillingly forced images of the past into her vision. It was Connor's hand around her shoulders that washed them away.

"I know it's hard, but... we have to do this. You said it yourself. We can't dwell on the past any longer," he assured her quietly, giving her a loving smile.

Ingrid smiled back, pushing the troubling memories away once more. They had been through so much. But they had to move on, if they were ever going to be okay again.

Harrowing shapes of chairs stood motionless in the living space, casting ominous shadows from the little light that seeped through the closed silk curtains. Jodie took her place in the large puffy armchair that she had long since claimed as her own, and Andrew perched on the edge of the sofa. His face, though shrouded in darkness, was pointed up at Ingrid and Connor, who stood dumbfounded in the doorway.

"Why is it so dark?" asked Connor.

"Jodie, uh, said that she wanted it to be dark. Said that it was... comforting. I dunno," replied Andrew meekly.

It was clear from his tone that he didn't particularly like it either. Connor nodded slowly, though he made no move to sit down. Neither did Ingrid.

"You can open 'em if you want."

Jodie leaned back in the armchair, gripping the side firmly with her hands, nodding towards the window. Andrew made no hesitation in drawing back the curtains. He breathed a sigh of relief as he did so, and stood looking out the window for a moment before returning to his seat. Ingrid and Connor sat down too, relieved that they could now see the people they would be conversing with.