Chapter 3 - A Long Time

"It has been an awful long time since I last saw you. Did you miss me? No? Well, your friends will certainly not miss you."

It was no more than a few minutes before Connor's panic attack passed. They always did, but it didn't stop him feeling relieved when it did. There was always a worry that it wouldn't pass, and that he would forget Ingrid for a second time. Not only Ingrid, but his whole life. He tried not to dwell on the thought, and instead live in the moment, but it wasn't easy.

After Connor had eaten his breakfast, Ingrid decided that she needed to buy more art supplies. Connor eyed her full cabinet of paints, brushes and other strange packets but said nothing. He knew that Ingrid just wanted him out of the house, and he wasn't prepared to argue. It would only make her more worried about him.

Before they left, Ingrid changed into a less baggy t-shirt and let her hair down. She picked up her handbag and a pair of sunglasses. Connor couldn't help but think that she looked like a tourist. Her makeup was, as always, perfect. She had obviously done it when Connor had still been asleep.

As they walked down the street, neither of them said a word. Ingrid walked slowly with her head held high, looking around at the world. The sky was a brilliant blue, with no clouds in sight. Connor could admire its beauty, but for some reason he couldn't bring himself to enjoy it. He walked a little behind Ingrid. His mind was full of empty thoughts, and though his mind wandered, it found nothing.

"Earth to Connor!"

A pink-nailed hand waved in front of his face, and he flinched. He shuffled his feet awkwardly, realising that Ingrid had been talking to him.

"Sorry. I spaced out," he apologized.

Ingrid started to talk to him again. Though he hadn't exactly "spaced out" again, something across the road caught his eye and he failed to hear her.

"Is that Andrew over there?"

With a slightly annoyed look in her eyes, Ingrid followed his gaze. He saw her pull down her sunglasses and squint, and then her mouth fell open in shock.

"It is! I didn't know he started jogging! Andrew!"

Despite the lack of traffic, he had earphones in and didn't hear her call. Ingrid sighed. She pulled out her phone from her handbag and dialed someone. Connor assumed it was Andrew, and he was correct. Across the road he saw Andrew stop and pull out his earphones. He held his phone to his ear.

"Hey. Look over the road! Me and Connor can see you!" said Ingrid cheerily.

Connor waved as he saw Andrew turn his head towards them. He didn't receive a wave in return. Ingrid's face fell and she looked a little embarrassed.

"Well, um... I only called you for that, yes. Uh... When did you start jogging?" she tried desperately to make something of the conversation.

"Two months? Wow, it's been so long since we've talked. How's Jodie?"

Though it seemed impossible, Ingrid's face fell even further. She muttered a goodbye and lowered her phone.

"What's wrong?" asked Connor.

"He told me that he had to get back to his jog. He didn't even answer my question."

Connor put his hand on her shoulder and smiled.

"I'm sure he didn't mean to be rude. That's just how Andrew is."

Ingrid still didn't look convinced.

"Maybe we could arrange to meet up with Jodie and Andrew at some point this week? It would be great to catch up."

At the suggestion Ingrid's eyes lit up. An excited grin spread across her face and she hugged him. Then, taking his hand, she began to lead him further down the street. There was a childish spring in her step.

"Come on! Let's go buy a present for both of them! I'll call up and arrange something when we get back to the apartment."