Chapter 25 - Lingering

They were filled with so much hope. She almost felt sorry for them, knowing that their hope was pointless. She tried to expel this unwanted emotion, but she could not help but feel it. It was uncharacteristic of her. If she was not careful, it would overtake her.

Much to Ingrid's relief, it didn't take long for her efforts to start to make some effect. Though nothing around them changed for a while, she was almost certain that she could feel some kind of growing presence. She could feel it getting ever closer. Connor, however, didn't seem to feel anything.

"It's not working," he complained, the hope slowly draining from him.

"Shush, Connor. I can feel it. It's nearly working. Keep trying!"

Connor sighed, clearly not taking much encouragement from her words. Though, he didn't have to wait long to be disproved. There was a faint cry in the distance, closely followed by another which was ever so slightly nearer.

"Did you hear that?" cried Connor, taking hold of Ingrid's sleeve anxiously.

She brushed him off, not wanting to lose her focus. Her head hurt with the effort of summoning Jodie and Andrew, and with every passing second she found it harder to hold on. It was only when she saw them in the distance that she stopped. The cries they had heard were now confirmed to be Jodie's; she was crouched on the ground, screaming at the top of her lungs.

"Help us! Please!"

Ingrid took hold of Connor, pulling him along with her as she rushed to her friend's side. Her worry gave way to speed and she could feel Connor falling behind despite her hold of him. Eventually she had to let go.

She reached Jodie, eager and afraid to see what she was looking at. She covered her mouth, stifling a gasp.

Andrew was sat on the floor, bent forward, clutching at his leg. He was wincing in pain and his eyes brimmed with tears. He looked up slowly, catching sight of Ingrid. His eyes widened at her, and Jodie followed his gaze upwards.

"Ingrid!"

But Ingrid couldn't speak. Her throat went dry and she could hardly breathe. Seeing Jacob had been bad enough, but this? Just beneath his trousers, Ingrid could see that Andrew's leg was grey. Without thinking she reached down and pulled up his trousers, revealing what she had hoped had just been a trick of the light. Stone.

Jodie's mouth fell open in shock and she moved back a little. The frown etched in Andrew's brow turned from one of pain to that of confusion.

"What the heck?" he asked.

Connor by now had caught up to them, and his reaction was much the same. Ingrid, however, could not conceal her fear any longer. Tears that had been threatening to fall finally started to pour down her cheeks, and she turned away.

She felt Connor hug her, but it gave her no comfort. She looked down at her hands, and then back at Andrew. What had happened to Jacob...

It was going to happen to them too.

She then looked at Connor and Jodie. They showed no signs. Not yet. But who was the say that it wouldn't happen to them eventually? They might have all been reunited, but they were no closer to getting out of there. She had been so blind. She had let herself be too hopeful, and now they were all going to slowly waste away in Carrie's basement.

Her friends were talking to her. Were they asking her if she was okay? She didn't know. She didn't care. It was all going to end her, so what was the point?

"It will not end here for you."

That voice was one that Ingrid had not expected to hear again. She had been certain that she would die here, and those words in particular caught her off guard.