Chapter 19 - Heroes Die

"Ah, there you are. My cookie and my puzzle, together. But what is this? Your better halves? It would seem that I have underestimated you."

Four stories high, covered in millions of tiny windows that resembled diamonds. Surrounded by lush green trees, an assortment of colourful flowers and miles of rolling green hills. Birds chirping their songs of sweet freedom in the distance. Paradise, some might say. But as the four friends stood in the car park across the road, all they could feel was a chilling fear that made their stomachs churn. What didn't help was that the windows were all tinted black, so for all they knew they could be being watched. And Connor had a strange feeling that they were.

Connor was the first to make his way across the road. Jodie held onto his sleeve, digging her nails in further with each step. It brought back memories of their first visit here, when it had just been the two of them. But that wasn't enough to repel Connor. He wouldn't let anything drive him away.

The sign of the building slowly came into view, overgrown vines creeping up its side. The signature moon and sun were still visible, but the paint had begun to fade. Even as they passed it and the institution itself loomed closer, it was clear that the foliage had not been tended to for a long time. It had only been a few months, but it looked like years had passed here.

Slowly the four of them walked up the stone pathway, their whole bodies tense with a mixture of fear and apprehension. The large wooden door with the two circular windows at the top stood in front of them. For a while, none of them dared to touch it. Once again it was Connor that made the first move. Gently he caressed it with his fingers, feeling the smooth surface on his skin. He closed his eyes, drawing in a shaky breath as he prepared himself. Now was his last chance to turn back. But he wasn't going to take it.

His hand found the handle, and he pushed the door open. He felt Jodie's grip tighten once more as the cream coloured interior came into view. It was as clean and pristine as he remembered it, but now there was something else behind the image: evil. This was a mask, designed to hide the dark truths that lay beneath.

He took a step inside.

The polished wooden floor creaked under his weight. His friends followed timidly behind, still not having said a word. From their silence Connor could tell that they were on edge. As much as they had promised that they would stand with him until the end, it was clear that they wanted to be anywhere but here. But this was Connor's duty. He couldn't just sit back and pretend that everything was fine. Because it wasn't.

Suddenly the wooden door slammed shut. The four of them jumped, knowing full well what had closed it.

"Welcome back, my dear friends. I am glad you have come. It was getting tiresome, waiting for you."

The voice, her voice. It rang in their heads, pushing out from the inside, threatening to break their skulls into a million tiny shards. Andrew doubled over, retching. He held onto Ingrid's shoulder for leverage, but she wasn't much better. She faltered under the slight weight, falling to the ground in a heap. Jodie too fell. All three of them cried out in pain, holding their hands to their heads in a desperate effort to lessen the pressure. But Connor was used to the feeling. He clenched his fists, fighting to block her out. White edged his vision as he felt Carrie reach into him. Not again.

Looking down at his friends, he was filled with a new determination. She could mess him up and ruin his life all she wanted, but not his friends. They didn't deserve it.

"You're a coward, Carrie. Why don't you come and face us yourself? Enough of these mind games," he said through clenched teeth.

Carrie's familiar cackle sounded out. It filled his head to the brim. Echoing.

"Cowards are the most resilient, my cookie. They are smart, and they use their resources to their advantages. That is what separates you from your other half, Ingrid. She rushes to your aid without a second thought. You and I plan out our tactics. Don't you see, Connor? Cowards survive. Heroes die."

Connor stood in silence, her words repeating on loop in his head.

Heroes die.