Epilogue

The loud rumbling of the red convertible's engine filled the silence that fell between them. There would be time to discuss it all, but now they all needed some peace.

Fields of green whizzed past as they drove down the winding countryside road, and the air held the subtle scent of flowers which conveyed the sweet hope of a new life, however difficult starting over would be. They had to leave it all behind finally. That decision had been made without question - there was nothing left for them here. Perhaps the joys of childhood, but they were old memories. Now they needed to move on and make new ones. As they had learned in recent months: there was no use staying in the past.

He felt her hand on his, and when he looked at her, he saw nothing but love in her sky-blue eyes. They had each other now. And while that privilege had been taken from their friend, they vowed to fill that hole for her, for as long as they needed to. In the front seat, they could see her regained feelings giving way to tears, which she gladly let fall. And despite all this, she had a broad smile on her face.

"There's no use in sulking," she said, seeing them watching her in the rear-view mirror. "What's done is done, and I'm not gonna let that hold me back anymore."

They nodded. She was right to think that way.

Silence fell again as they resorted back to watching the fields.

It was over.