Chapter 12 - Reunion

"..."

Andrew was stood in the kitchen, cooking some chicken and rice. It was a very boring meal, but ever since he'd recovered from being inside one of Carrie's rocks, he'd had the strange urge to be more healthy. He'd never been particularly unhealthy, but something about his experiences had made him want to be stronger. That's why he'd started jogging. And since Jodie had been out of town for a few months it gave him more time to focus on it.

As Jodie entered his mind, Andrew couldn't help but feel a little sad. She hadn't been herself for a while. That was actually why she had decided to go and spend some time with her family. Andrew had offered to go with her, but she'd said that she wanted to go alone. She'd told him that she needed to get away from all the bad memories, just to clear her head. She hadn't called him for two months, which worried Andrew. He couldn't help thinking that maybe she didn't want to come back.

"Oh!"

He quickly turned off the stove, cursing loudly to himself. He'd let himself get too wrapped up in thought, and it'd started to overcook. It was happening more and more lately, and he didn't like it. After letting it cool down a bit, he put it on a plate and settled down at the table to eat. Outside the sky was still pretty light, since it was summertime. It was a bit unsettling for some reason, like the day was waiting for something to happen before it ended.

And that was when the front door opened.

Andrew jumped to his feet suddenly, ready to defend himself from the intruder. But as he entered the living room of the apartment, he saw that it wasn't an intruder at all.

"Jodie! You're back!"

He made his way towards her, embracing her in an affectionate hug. He didn't quite know what had come over him; he wasn't usually one for such soppy behaviour. But it wasn't until now that he realised how much he had missed her.

"Andrew... You're kinda suffocating me," muttered Jodie, her voice muffled by Andrew's chest.

He withdrew, apologizing. She gave him a weary smile, dropping her bags onto the floor and closing the door behind her. She looked pale, which was strange because she had naturally tanned skin.

"Are you okay?" Andrew asked.

Jodie nodded, though the way she leaned back against the door said otherwise. Her knees shook a little, and they looked like they were struggling to hold her weight. Andrew put his arm around her, and almost instantly she fell against him.

"Just tired," she said, barely more than a whisper.

"Come on, then. I'll take you to the bedroom. It must've been a long trip."

She didn't reply, and Andrew struggled not to worry. Jodie was usually strong willed, and very rarely got as exhausted as this. But as much as he wanted to know what had happened, he knew that she wouldn't give him answers. What she needed right now was sleep.

He put his other arm under her legs and picked her up like a baby. Her eyes were barely open now, and she made no move to resist him. Under any other circumstances, she would've insisted that she could walk on her own.

Andrew carried her into the bedroom, laying her carefully down on the bed. Slowly he removed her shoes and pulled the covers over her. He decided not to try and change her into her pyjamas, and just leave her in her clothes. He brushed her hair from her face and left the room, keeping the door open by a fraction. He returned to the table to eat his dinner, but he found himself glancing back at the bedroom, unable to concentrate on anything else. Something had happened, he was sure. But what? He would find out tomorrow, when Jodie would hopefully be feeling better.