Chapter 16 - Closer

Staring intently at my phone which was actually my mother's old phone, I sighed at the picture on my screen

Staring intently at my phone which was actually my mother's old phone, I sighed at the picture on my screen. It was one of Jessie's Instagram post, with her doing a jump shot in front of her family villa.

"So this was where I saw it." I mused to myself, shifting myself to a comfortable position on my bed.

"Saw what?" Jessie questioned, the bed bouncing at another sudden additional weight.

"The picture of your family villa." I answered, passing my smartphone to Jessie.

After Jessie's revelation of her grandfather being the ultimate mastermind behind, I found it hard to voice out my thoughts.

Why didn't Jessie say anything before?

Why didn't Dad tell me about this?

Why is Jessie's surname different from her grandfather?

Why isn't Dad doing anything about the evidence?

My mother noticed my distraught state, so she immediately suggested to leave this discussion to tomorrow.

My protests were quickly shut down by everyone, who urged me to get some rest. Somewhere along the way, Nathan disappeared from the scene.

"I'm so sorry Jean, if I knew you were at the family villa, I would have-"

"No, don't be, Jessie. It's not your fault, it's my father's fault for getting my family involved in this." I cut her off, taking my smartphone back from Jessie.

"Jean, you have to understand that your father cannot simply reveal the evidence to the public so easily. The consequences-"

"Is the consequences worth more than my family's life? My mother was almost taken away and I was kidnapped, if that person didn't appear, who knows how long would I have been missing?" I exclaimed, my voice growing louder and louder. My anger got the better of me as I found myself panting hard, Jessie reeling back from my sudden outburst.

"That person--no, it's fine, I don't need to know now. Okay, Jean, listen. Just calm down and think, think carefully for your father's reasons for not showing the evidence to the police yet. You always have a knack for thinking, don't you?" Jessie started to inquire about that person, but she quickly shifted back to the topic.

I suspired, feeling utterly guilty at taking out my frustration on Jessie. "I'm-I'm sorry Jessie, I didn't mean to..."

She gave me a small smile, patting my shoulder. "It's alright, I understand your situation. I'll leave you alone to think, and get some good rest."

"Thank you, and I'm really sorry."

Her smile grew wider and she left my room, closing the door gently.

"Oh, and by the way. This house, is really way too cool. I mean, have you seen the freaking bathroom?" Jessie opened the door abruptly, awe evident in her eyes.