Chapter 20 - Aftermath

An uncomfortable silence ensued, none of us speaking, not even moving an inch

An uncomfortable silence ensued, none of us speaking, not even moving an inch. Nathan's dreadful words echoed in my mind, replaying over and over again.

Alexander Talbot is planning to reactivate the cube, once again.

...planning to reactivate the cube, once again.

...reactivate the cube, once again.

The words started to overwhelm my entire mind, growing louder each time and soon, the trembles came along with the harrowing images of the aftermath of the incident, 'Infiniteum', ruining the lives of hundreds of thousands; millions even.

A memory played in my mind as I remember scrambling around with many others, some of them helping their own, some of them aiding anyone they could. However, the casualties were too much of a burden, we only had a few helping hands. One child cried out in a sorrowful manner, getting pushed and shoved around by people who couldn't bother about a single, lonesome child tottering down the chaotic street.

He eventually fell from a hard shove and I managed to save the child from an incoming stampede. It was frightening to imagined what would have happened if I didn't make it in time. I questioned him about his family and the child said pitifully about his only family left in this world was his father, and I hastily asked about his whereabouts.

"Hey, little guy, where's your family?"

"I only have my dad."

"Oh...and where is he? Why aren't you with him?"

Till this day, the way he answered me still haunts my very soul and his tears just streamed out endlessly from his innocent eyes.

"Gone."

He bolted away suddenly and he disappeared into the crowd, nowhere to be seen. I searched everywhere for him but I just couldn't find him anywhere, my heart still aches with guilt whenever I think of that memory.

"Jean? Jean! Are you alright?" A voice exclaimed and I could feel someone shaking me lightly, I gasped as I broke out from my reverie, glancing up. Nathan's blurry face appeared in my vision and without hesitation, I clutched his arms fiercely, a tear slipping from my eye.

"It can never happen again, never! Once was enough, twice and it will tear the whole city apart, literally. What I saw, Nathan, what I saw...it was—I can't..."

This time, I recalled myself being in a hospital with my parents. My mother and father was each carrying a child in their arms, they were twin sisters judging from their looks. The scene in the hospital left me grief-stricken, they lacked hospital staff as half of them didn't manage to escape from the incident too. People were scrambling around, choked cries and wails of different tones and voices resounded throughout the hospital.