Chapter 2 ♚ Taken

𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒅: 2/19/21|𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕: 6945|⧖ 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆: 29 mins|𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒆𝒔: other notable tracks I listened to while writing include Balmorhea: Rememberance and Hiro and Zero OST

♪ 𝒎𝒖𝒔𝒊𝒄 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒌: ☑☐ ⥦ 𝒁𝒂𝒏𝒌𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒏𝒐 𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒐𝒓 - 𝒍𝒆𝒗 𝒍𝒐𝒘 >> 𝑰'𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚

___

"(Y/N) what do you want to play?" Eren asked for my opinion.

I leaned against the only tree among the grass landscape which stretched out for acres until it reached the outskirts of the town. Shade had made a canopy over the three of us, providing a safe retreat from the honey-colored rays. Blocking out any total distractions, I focused on the nature surrounding me as well as establishments built around. The fans of the windmills were slowly turning as a nice breeze flew across the district.

My hands wrapped around my thighs, pulling my legs close to me. I observed the blue flowers nearby. The petals were delicate and glistened as the sun hit the cluster. A trail of ants made its way along the dirt, following in a simple line one after the other.

Everything seemed peaceful. Except for the emptiness and hollow feeling I felt, rooted deep within myself.

I didn't reply back to Eren. It was pointless.

I just wanted to sleep or take a nap. No-I didn't want to take a nap. That's just the excuse I'm using to mask the real truth. I wanted to isolate myself from everyone. I just wanted to be alone, away from any disturbances. The green-eyed boy frowned at me at the fact I showed no interest or any slight emotion towards him. The truth was things weren't going to be the same like before. It never would be.

"Eren," Mikasa called out his name. "We shouldn't be playing right now, we should be doing our chores." She continued to pick up more sticks up from the ground and carefully placed it in the stick holder. The raven haired girl turns towards me, putting a hand on my shoulder and giving me a soft smile to which I nodded in return. "(Y/N) if you want to leave just go. We can do your part for you."

I hated going back to the Yeager household, because just across from their household would be my old house. It would remind me of what happened to mom. Of what that man did to mom, and all I did was just run. I often thought of what I could have done in that situation. Maybe if I intervened somehow or did something- something besides running away, things would've turned out differently.

I strolled along the path I always do. Mothers and their children were present along the homes. While this was all nice and dandy, my  heart throbbed. They were happy, and I envied that. The fact that families were able to laugh and be joyful was something I didn't have. It was not too long ago that I was sitting inside waiting for my mother's cooking. She always knew how to make the best (favorite food).

My lifeless eyes grown accustomed to the exact cobblestone steps and pavements I'd seen everyday; you'd never catch me tripping over any irregular rocks that stuck out. Almost every worthy place the Shiganshina district had to offer was eventually visited by me, all the routes in this secluded region mapped out in my head, yet knowing these thing was of no value. They were dead ends in this secluded area closed off from the world.

Despite looking straight ahead, the place I called home became gray-- my present lifestyle an endless cycle of the same actions that held no meaning to it. People who walked passed me were faceless. The rowdy talks of the citizens of the walls were just background noise falling upon my deaf ears. Dragging myself down the steps, the only places that was of interest to me were the ones that with wooden planters or flowering shrubs. Along the way to my desired location, my hand reached to the side of me for a few flowers that were an arms distance away. I did this a few times, randomly picking whatever plant found itself trapped between my finger, its destiny to be plucked away from its only life source. I didn't care to see what flower I picked. There were already numerous broken stems from days prior, either still standing on its last few days left or wilting in the soil it was born from.