Chapter 4 ♚ Far below

𝒅𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒑𝒖𝒃𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒅: 3/17/21|𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒅:1/6/22|𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕: 12,183words|⧖ 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆: 

♪ 𝒎𝒖𝒔𝒊𝒄 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒌: ☑☐ ⥦ 𝑰𝑻𝑩𝑴𝑾 - 𝑴𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑶𝒔𝒕  >> 𝑰'𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚

𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒆𝒔: This chapter is the one I've been most looking forward to writing! I'm really satisfied with the changes I've done, but also--! please listen to the soundtrack this chapter! I think it really captures a sense of emptiness and realization with all the disaster that has happened... and its from one of my favorite webtoons: In the Bleak Mid-Winter! Go check it out! :D

Also I did no editing whatsoever. Sorry!

First Person POV

___

(Play soundtrack now)

The valleys between slender fingers overflowing with dirt are a sign of my consciousness being resurrected from a deep sleep. The swirly pads of my fingertips are the first to gain the sense of touch, palpable fine grains stained with a dull crimson sifting along, synchronized with my movements.

Half of my face is planted into the ground and in this daze of vulnerability, the weight of my body became clear. The puppet masters seem to be gone; the strings attached to the joints have snapped yet something else continues to have control over me. Hands are pulling the entirety of my being to the floor. It is the stolen souls which embed me to the floor, wishing to bury me, wishing I had died in the carnage. 

They aren't gone, they continue to torment. They plead 'till the death timer hits its mark.

Finally recovering with the scarce strength I have left, the eyelid not smothered into the dirt creeps open. I closed my eyes again as my muscles tightened, and I try to muster up the power to lift myself up but all that I can do is tumble on my back.

I'm met with stifling surprise.

There is no sky.

No clouds.

No sun.

No stars.

There's just a dark canopy masking the atmosphere. The ceiling is not smooth; the texture is rough and bumpy as if sculpted with mud. Off in the distance, pillar like trees extend from the bottom up, only except the crown of leaves are missing. Mind all groggy, and with as many stories as I've read, I guessed maybe I minimized in size and fell into an ant colony. Or perhaps this was god's punishment. They sent civilization in a pit and made their own world collapse on themselves, the earth caving in as they hid the sky-- therefore its beauty couldn't be bestowed upon humans who took it for granted.

If there was one thing I wanted to see getting out of the wretched facility, it would be that, the endless blue eternity up above, and it was gone. Months wasted down there, not being able to feel the sunlight caress my skin, not being able to breath fresh air, they were still far gone.

My jaw clenched.

For some unknown reason I got the incentive to get up.

I turned around on all fours, my toes burrowing in the ground filling my fingernails as far as it could go until it hit the curves of my skin. Arms standing parallel to each other, the bones centered within my flesh are frail, at any given moment it feels like their about to break frail as they tremble to support the trunk of my body. With a painful groan I proceeded with the second attempt, one half of me bolstering with frustration that I can't do a simple task, the other half failing to ignore the soreness ravaging my limps. Unbalanced and weak, I collapsed to the ground on my side grunting.