Chapter 14

So, this chapter is just a flashback of what happened with Gemma (: I thought I'd give you guys more of a visual of it, but the words that are bolded are supposed to emphasize how Chloe feels and such.  I know Gemma's hair wasn't blonde back then, but just pretend c; Enjoy<3

(Song for chapter - Mad World by Gary Jules)

----------------------------- 

Chapter 14 – Harry's P.O.V.

            "Harry, is your sister okay?" Nathan questioned as he glanced over at Gemma who was nervously scanning the crowded beach with anxious eyes.

            I sighed, shrugging. "I don't know. She's never okay anymore."

            "Aren't you scared of her? I mean... she talks to herself, mate," Mikey pointed out as he frowned at the sight of the timid girl.

            I swatted his shoulder. "Oi! She's not scary, she's just... different. She has a different mindset than we do, that's all."

            "Don't you miss her being normal?" Nathan asked.

            "Of course I do, but I love her all the same."

            "What made her that way?" Mikey pestered.

            "I don't know, all right?" I shouted, groaning with the topic as I sank further into the water to where it was above my shoulders. I glanced over at Gemma who was nervously fuddling with her hands, her chest heaving breaths as she continued to skim the area, as if looking for predators. I looked back at my two mates. "Can we please not talk about her on my birthday?"

            "Right. Sorry, mate." Nathan shook his head to himself.

            "Curiosity killed the cat," Mikey added.

            "I'm going to kill you if you don't shut that bloody trap of yours," I joked with a small smile as Mikey rolled his eyes, playfully punching my shoulder.

            "Do you see blood on this trap? I don't think so, Harold," he sassed.

            I rolled my eyes at the use of my real name, but I also didn't bother explaining to him that it was an expression. Mikey moved to Holmes Chapel all but six months ago from a small town in Virginia back in the USA. Apparently his father had a job transfer (I haven't exactly paid attention to the many times he's told the story), so they packed up their things as a family and high-tailed out of there. I've always wanted to visit America, but with Gemma being so diffident, Mum said it wasn't the best idea to get her on a plane for over six hours.

            My family had to quit doing a lot of things ever since Gemma came entered this foggy state she seems to be engulfed in. We have to eat at certain restaurants where the music isn't too loud, and the food isn't too greasy. We also have to plan our vacations around her (many) therapy sessions, so that puts us at roughly three vacations a year. Gemma has to visit Dr. Martin three times a week, but she goes through these fits sometimes where they put her in the rehabilitation center for a couple of days to get her wound down. I don't like seeing Gemma suffer like this, and I also don't like missing out on the vacations we'd always take. I just wished she was her normal self again; the one that would always play with me.

            Sister or not, I used to tell Gemma every single thing going on in my life. She was my own living secret book holder, keeping her lips zipped closed when need be. I loved her—I still love her—I just love the old her more. I hate sounding like that, I really do, but it's only the truth.