Chapter 20

Chapter 20 – Harry’s P.O.V.

            “Sir, if you’d calm down, I’ll read you your current rights for this situation,” one guard said as I finally stopped struggling, refusing to believe Chloe was gone where she didn’t deserve to be.

            I swallowed, nodding my head as I pursed my lips together. This was bullshit, I knew it, but fighting got me nowhere. It didn’t bring Chloe back and he didn’t keep them away. The only thing I can do now is suck it up and try to get her out somehow. All I can do it listen to these fucking meatheads.

            “A court date has been scheduled for April 3rd, 2014 for the suspicion of your abuse against women. From here and until then, you have no visitation rights to Chloe Williams, nor will you be able to contact her in any sort of way. Elizabeth Williams has claimed you’ve hurt her in the same ways, along with your threat that if she ever leaves you, you’d kill her. You will not be allowed within fifty feet of either victim, or have any sort of contact whatsoever. If you fail to show on your court date, your sentence will be extended and more brutal. Here’s the packet of rules you must obey until further notice. Have a nice day.”

            With that said, leaving me baffled and utterly speechless, the two guards left with one final slam of the door.

            Did they not hear Mike when he said Elizabeth was coming over later? Or was that a plan of hers to get me imprisoned? I’ve done nothing wrong, especially not abuse. Hurting a woman has never once been in my mind, and Elizabeth knows that. She knows how I stuck up for her against her father. She knows how I’ve blocked his hits towards her for her. I’ve taken so many damn punches for that girl, is this is how she’s going to repay the favor?

            To think I once loved that girl. How can beauty be so evil?

            Heaving a frustrated hand through my hair, my eyes skim the packet titled “Suspect Laws to Follow.” Rolling my eyes, I threw it as hard as I could against the wall. I was pissed, beyond pissed. They just took the one thing that started mattering most to me away. They just yanked her out like she was nothing but a ragdoll. They were hurting her, and that pissed me off more.

            The Book Thief was lying cover-up on the coffee table. A pang of guilt for not being down here for Chloe hit me. She was only ten pages away from the end after striving so hard to finish. I had to get it to her somehow. She needs some sort of happy ending in this hell-life of hers.

            I picked up the book, seeing it was already doggy-eared on the page she left off. I wanted to smile, but the apartment was so eerily quiet now. Not that Chloe ever spoke much, but the certain tension I’m feeling now usually isn’t there with her presence.

            I’m not an emotional person anymore, but I really felt like I could burst into tears. How could someone so silent, so isolated brighten your life? How could someone so paranoid, so skittish make you smile? How could someone supposedly diagnosed with schizophrenia make me the happiest guy I’ve been in a while? It doesn’t make sense to me, but Chloe Williams is a beautiful mystery I’ll never quite solve.

            Knowing I’d get thrown in jail if I tried to go see her, I sadly shook my head and gently closed the book, keeping her page marked and setting it back on the table. I heaved a hand through my hair, taking this short—but uncomfortable—peace to my advantage. I had to learn more about Chloe’s diagnosis before Elizabeth showed.

            God, pray for me.

            That girl, I swear. I can’t stand her. If you would’ve told me that two years ago I was head over heels for her, I’d laugh in your face. I just don’t see how someone who used to be so genuine could turn so cruel right before your eyes. When you think you know someone, they always end up surprising you and proving you wrong.