Chapter 30

Chapter 30 – Chloe’s P.O.V.

            Even I was nervous for Harry when the time for reception dawned on us. He would be facing his mother after five long years without a sense of her perspective towards him. I tried to convince Harry that she only invited him to see him again, but he hasn’t fully believed me. Something in his mind keeps telling him it’s a trick or a mistake, and I’m downright worried for him.

            “I don’t want to do this,” Harry told me as he squeezed my hand tighter. “Can we just go now?”

            I shook my head. “Harry, you have to do this sooner or later.”

            “Why not later?”

            I gave him a look.

            “Fine, fine.” Harry sighed as he raked his free hand through his hair. “Can I at least get a good luck kiss?”

            “Only because I feel nervous for you,” I teased as I pressed my lips to his in a quick kiss.

            Harry chuckled as he pulled back. “Thanks for the sympathy, babe.”

            I just smiled back, but neither of us had a chance to speak anyway with the bride and groom entering the reception hall. Applauds were rumbling through my ears as I tried to join in, but Harry wouldn’t release my hand. He just stood there, standing dumbfounded while he watched his mother walk towards the center of the room, her newly wedded husband holding her hand.

            Harry tensed beside me, his jaw locking in place as his stare turned into a cold, stern glare. He no longer looked shocked or baffled, but now he looked angry; really angry. But before I could ask him why the sudden mood change, he gripped my hand firmer and tugged me along with him.

            Right towards the table his mother was sitting at.

            “Harry, what are you—?”

            “This woman abandoned her own child and she seems unaffected,” he snapped. “I want to know why I never mattered to her.”

            “Harry, you can’t think like that,” I told him as he continued to drag me.

            “How else am I supposed to look at it, Chloe?” he retorted, stopping in his tracks and turning to face me. The creases in his forehead gave away his anxiety.

            “It’s her wedding, Harry. Do you want her to look depressed?” I asked.

            Harry pursed his lips, his hands going to his hips. “Of course I don’t, but you’d think she’d at least look for me since she invited me to this damn place. She hasn’t even glanced around the room, Chloe. She’s making it pretty fucking obvious that she never wanted me and she still doesn’t,” he spat.

            “Can you please watch your mouth?” I asked in a soft voice, the low mumbles in my head picking up and I fought the urge to cover my ears.

            Harry stared at me for a moment, then sighed, raking a hand through his hair as he looked to the ground. “I’m sorry,” he murmured. “I’m just… I’m paranoid.”

            “I know you are, Harry, but you don’t have to take it out on me.” I sighed, rubbing my temples to see if they would disperse once more.

            “I’m sorry, babe.” Harry stepped towards me, kissing my forehead. “I didn’t mean to, all right?”

            I only nodded, the murmurs in my head growing as I bit my lips to hold back any unnecessary screams. I didn’t want to cause a scene at a woman’s wedding I didn’t know. I didn’t want to make a scene at all, but profanity, screams, and aggression always bring out the worse side of them. It’s irritating to deal with.

            “You can do this, okay?” I told him as soon as they died down once more.

            Harry licked his lips before pressing them together, still not looking fully sure of himself but he nodded anyway. “You’ll be there with me, right?”

            I smiled. “The whole time.”

            Harry took my hand in his again before we approached the table. Harry cleared his throat, causing the pretty woman to look up from giggling with her husband. She nearly dropped her glass of champagne as her lips parted, her eyes going huge just by meeting Harry’s gaze. I thought Harry was going to freak out right then, but in a soft voice he managed to ask, “Can I have a word with you, Anne?”

            The lack of him saying mom made Anne’s face fall just the slightest, but she still seemed too shock to say anything. All she did was stand, holding up a finger to her husband before following Harry (who gripped my hand even tighter) out of the rented beach house and onto the sand once more. No one was out here, but it was a pretty night as the breeze swiftly swept by.

            No one spoke for a long moment, but Anne’s eyes began to water the longer she stared at Harry. I could tell Harry was holding back his own emotions, but he kept his bottom lip between his teeth and my hand in his, squeezing it every time Anne let out a shocked, trembling breath.

            “I-I can’t believe you came,” Anne finally managed to stammer out.

            But Harry didn’t acknowledge that sentence fleeing Anne’s lips.

            Instead, he blurted, “Why’d you give me up? Why wasn’t I good enough for you?” Tears welled in his eyes at this point as Anne glanced from me to him. I know she was questioning my presence, but she was more focused on her son.

            “Harry, it wasn’t like that,” she told him.

            Harry shook his head as a lone water droplet trickled down his flushed cheek. “You sent me away,” he managed to croak out. “Why didn’t you want me anymore? What did I do to make you hate me?”

            Anne was crying now, too, as she said, “Harry, I don’t hate you, honey. I’ve never hated you.”

            “Then why didn’t you want me?” he boomed, raising his voice some.

            “Harry, I’ve always wanted you!” Anne suddenly hollered back, her tears flowing more rapidly as she tugged the roots of her freshly curled hair. I now see where Harry got his habits from.

            “Then you have some damn good explaining to do,” Harry whimpered out in a croaked tone, my heart clenching at how pained he sounded.

            Anne sucked in a sharp breath as she wiped her tears, meeting her son’s gaze firmly. “I… I gave you away because after Gemma died, I felt like it was my fault. That I failed you both as a mother. I figured you’d be better off without me, Harry. With someone who knew what the hell they were doing in this parenting life because apparently I didn’t. But… what made me officially decide to give you up was…”

            Harry leaned in, his few stray tears already dry as he irked to know more of what his mother was saying. Even I was intrigued.

            Anne let out a choked sob before she whimpered out, “I gave you up because I was pregnant, Harry.”

-

-

A/N: Bet you guys didn't see that coming xD So why do you think Anne's pregnancy made her give Harry up, hmm? Leave your theories in the comments! I love reading you guys' opinions <3 Love you all xx

*VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.* ;)