Chapter 28

Chapter 28 – Chloe’s P.O.V.

            “Chloe, I think I left my luggage back in the US,” Harry said as he went to turn back for the plane that just landed, but I gripped his elbow.

            “Harry, quit being such a girl,” I teased him. “I’m sure thing will go fine. You need to make up with your mother and be proud you still have one.”

            Harry sighed, rubbing his forehead before he laced his fingers with mine. “I know, I know… I just… I haven’t seen her in five years. I’m kind of dumbfounded on what to do right now and I’m just… scared, I guess.”

            “You still have another night to think things through.”

            “I guess you’re right.”

            Harry’s hand tightened around mine as we moved swiftly through the airport, grabbing out luggage. Needless to say I was scared out of my mind going on a plane for the first time, but Harry found that amusing and teased me nearly the whole ride here. I’ve always had an open mind to create, imaginative things where I believe anything is possible, and a plane sporadically crashing in the middle of the ocean with me on it happens to be one of them. Of course Harry just called me ridiculous and let me squeeze his hand the whole time, but it was still overwhelmingly frightening.

            But the best thing?

            Still no voices.

            There hasn’t been any sinister laughing, any threats, or any harm done to me at all in the past couple of days. It’s like the more I’m with Harry, the more distance they become. And I love that; I love it a lot. It’s like I’m finally on the path back to normal.

            After Harry and I retrieve our baggage, we snag a cab and I’m baffled by the beauty of London as we drive through the streets. It’s so bright at night, each building lit up to resemble something magical. My eyes feel as if they’re going to pop out of their sockets if I keep gawking, but I can’t help it.

            Harry lays his chin on my shoulder to peek out the window with me. “Beautiful, isn’t it?”

            I nodded, still smiling.

            “The only thing I missed about London,” he said, “the liveliness.”

***

            The cab finally halts when we make it in front of a rather large hotel, the sign as bright as everything else in this city. I think I’m already in love on my first night.

            I stepped out first, Harry following me close behind with a hand on the small of my back. The man got our bags out of the trunk, setting them down on the sidewalk. I bent over to grab the handle to mine, but Harry’s hands gripped my hips a little tighter and I heard him grumble, “Keep your fucking eyes to yourself.”

            The profanity was enough to send uneasy flips in my stomach, but the aggression behind his tone is what startled me. When I looked up, I managed to catch the taxi man staring at my rear before he listened to Harry, quickly looking away. He was an older guy, too. Someone you didn’t want looking at a nineteen year old.

            “Sorry,” Harry murmured to me before angrily tossing the money through the window for the driver. “I don’t like creeps staring at my girlfriend.”

            He wasn’t speaking to me when he said it, and I knew that just by the way he raised his voice slightly when the man began to roll his window up. Harry rolled his eyes, clenching his jaw as the man quickly pulled away, then he turned back to me. His face softened almost instantly, but a hint of rage was still evident in his emeralds.