Chapter 19

Dexter

Walking down the hallways of the castle to meet up with the Queen and Leo; Dev and I were both lost in our thoughts. Whereas Devin’s thoughts were probably about where Callie had disappeared to, mine we about something else. My Mate. I know I should try to forget her but I just can’t, she was and always will be a part of me. People are always telling me that I needed to move on but the truth was I have. I have moved on from the trauma her death had caused me, I have moved on from blaming myself for what had happened even if it was completely out of my hands. I have moved on from needed her to survive and that’s probably why I’m still alive and hadn’t killed myself in grief over her.

The one thing I hadn’t move on from is my love for my mate, Sophia. I will always love her and nothing anyone can say or do will ever be able to change that. I will always love her beautiful dirty blonde hair and piercing blue eyes that had been more beautiful and clearer than the Caribbean Sea itself. She had the most absolutely perfect smile in the world and her laugh . . . Her laugh was a sound made in heaven. It had been love at first sight for the both of us from the moment we met and no one would ever be able to replace her.

Frankly I didn’t like it when girls in the castle threw themselves at me maybe if I hadn’t met my mate yet it wouldn’t bother me as much but now it was irritating that they think they can waltz in and take Sophia’s place.

“What are you thinking about?” Dev asked from beside me.

“Sophia,” I replied simply. Devin had met her once, when Callie was still doing her test thing and was living with the humans. Sophia really liked Dev and I remember her asking me when we would get to see her again. I remember Dev and her would talk for hours on end about whatever girls talk about and they would not get bored.

But then Sophia was in the wrong place at the wrong time. She had been visiting with her family in their small hometown when a group of rogues attacked. Everyone was killed along with Sophia. It was devastating.

Dev knew not to touch much on the topic of Sophia and I respected her for keeping her boundaries. “What do you think the Queen wants to talk to us about?” She asked instead.

I shrugged, “I have no idea, maybe it’s about the rogue attack from today. Where is Callie?”

“Probably with the Queen.” Dev replied.

We continued our way down the hall until we finally got to the right room. Once inside the room only Leo and Queen Emmaline were there. No Callie.

“Where’s Cal?” Devin asked Queen Emmaline and giving Leo a tight glare. I bet she was thinking about everything he had done to Callie when she was living as a human. I wasn’t very happy with this guy either.

“That’s what we are here to talk about,” the Queen replied and motioned for the two of us to sit down on the couch beside Leo.

Callie and Devin are like family to me, I love them with my life. If anything happened to either I would most likely risk my life even for the slightest chance at saving them. If Callie is in danger and that is why we are in this room then I would do anything to have her back.