Chapter 21

Leo

Today was the day. Finally we were going to rescue Callie. A group of trusted guards had been sent out to find the whereabouts of Than and his rogues, they came back this morning with good news. Apparently they currently inhabited some run down brick building that had been built centuries ago in a time of war. It was in the middle of a dark forest and certainty would be hard to just stumble upon. How the guards discovered the place, I don’t know and don’t care. As soon as I have Callie back, everything will be just fine.

I feel like a complete failure as a mate for letting her go, I should have and could have done so much more. Yeah that’s right, I am finally admitting to being a complete disgrace to the werewolf race. Mates are more important to a werewolf than anything, they are practically sacred to them. Once you find your mate you are supposed to be willing to do anything for them, anything. You are supposed to keep them out of harm’s way, but instead I have been the one to harm her.

I plan on making it up to her without a second thought. With the news of her whereabouts, it’s taking all my restraint to not run out there this instant to pull Callie into my arms. But I have to wait for the plan, if I go in there by myself, I most likely wouldn’t be able to make it out.

Being away from Callie had made the mate pull stronger, I finally realize exactly how important she is to me. I was stupid not to realize it before. I guess the saying that you never realize how important something is to you until it’s gone, is true. A year ago when I had discovered that Callie was gone, I felt the bond, but not quite to the severity of what I feel right now. Maybe it wasn’t as strong before because she wasn’t aware that we were mates and now it is stronger because she finally knows.

“Leo, we are just getting the final preparations completed and then we will be off. Meet us in the weaponry in ten.” Dexter said to me before leaving the room to gather some last minute stuff.

I stood up and walked to my room, without getting lost; accomplishment number one! Once I got to the room I pulled my bag out from under the bed and started searching for something. It probably took me a good five minutes to find the one thing I was looking for but once I did I quickly stuffed it into one of my pockets, closed the bag and returned it back under the bed.

I left my room and went down to the weaponry where I could see Devin already there waiting for everyone else.

“Hey,” I said with a nod as I walked in.

”Sup home dog,” She replied. “What’s cracki-lacking in this fo-shizzle.”

I just stood there and stared at her questionably. “What the hell?”

She gave me a slightly defensive look, “I’m only trying to speak your slang.”

“My slang?”

“Yeah, I thought you were some gang banger dude. I mean isn’t that why you bullied Callie?”

My heart felt slightly heavier. “No.”

She opened her mouth to say something else but then shut it.  Thankfully Queen Emmaline came in walking alongside Dexter, the group of men who had found where the rogues were and also a small group of men that were going with us to the rogue hideout.

“Do we have everything we need?” Queen Emmaline asked. We all nodded our heads in reply, some giving a quick ‘yes’ as well. “Great then, we can head out. We need to be able to do this as quickly as possible. Today is the day that she officially is old enough to become Queen and you know what that means.”

Everyone nodded his or her heads in understanding while I was privileged to have no clue of what she was talking about. Was it Callie’s eighteenth birthday today? It must have been if Queen Emmaline said that she could now take over as Queen. But what did she mean when she said, “you know what that means”? Is something bad going to happen to her? Is she in danger? If so I do hope the information is shared with me, I am her mate.

Queen Emmaline must have noticed the fact that I hadn’t the slightest idea of what she was talking about. “We will fill you in once we get Callie back to the castle. Actually maybe Callie will be able to fill you in instead of me, she is your mate.”

I nodded and patted the object that I had pocketed from my room. It was something that needed to be given to Callie upon her return. “Let’s get moving then.”

_-_-_-_

I was now staring up at the old brick building that the rogues had been staying at. They certainly chose the perfect spot if they wanted to stay M.I.A. The building seemed almost unnoticeable but still quite large from the outside. It was quiet and calm and nature had definitely taken its toll on the exterior. If I didn’t know better I would just pass by without a second thought.

“Come on,” Dev said after she shifted back into her human form. I followed suit and then everyone started to circle the building for the best entrance.

“Which one do you think we should use?” Asked Dexter. Everyone contemplated the options before one of the guards spoke up.

“The one that we found to the right of the building, covered by the undergrowth. Because of the plants in the way, it is unlikely it has been used lately and they probably wouldn’t assume that anyone will try to enter by it.”

Queen Emmaline nodded, “Very well, lead the way.”

-_-_-_-_-

 Spare a comment and/or vote?