Part 20

Astrid pulled the covers up tighter around her, trying to block out the yelling from downstairs. She didn't even know what they were arguing about anymore but the shrieking chilled her to her bones. One hand escaped the tight caccoon she had made on her bed and grabbed her muggle phone. She only really used it at times like this. Pulling it close to her face, under the covers, she went to the only contact she had: Auntie Emily.

It rang for around 4 dials before the busy lady picked up.

"Astrid! How are you?"

"Its one of the worst I think it has been. Can I come to yours?"

"Of course, dear. I am so sor-" Her next words never reached Astrid's was as a loud crash of what sounded like glass or china smashing came from downstairs.

"Can I come now? They've started breaking things."

"Oh, sweetheart, of course. I assume you will use floo powder?" Auntie Emily felt bad for her. She knew, she could hear it in her voice.

"Yeah, see you in two." She clicked the hang up call and sighed. Yet again, she was hiding out at Auntie Emily's. Nothing really new. Slowly, she dragged herself out her bed nest and headed downstairs. As she walked past the dining room, she looked in to see her parents both red in the face, pure loathing written all over them. Smashed plates and glasses lay around them and there were new markings on the wall.

They didn't even spot her. It's like they had forgotten she was still in the house. It was going to be like this for a while. Much later tonight, one of them would remember her existence, go check on her and find she is missing. They would then call the other up and they would argue yet again over who's fault it was all the way to Emily's at which point they would pretend everything is fine and bring her home again. It was a routine now, like clockwork.

She sighed and walked past to the living room, not bothering looking round. She kept walking until she reached the fireplace and without a look back, grabbed a handful of glittery dark powder and stepped into it.

"54 Dragon Forest!" Astrid called loud and clearly, throwing the powder down at her feet. She let the emerald flames swallow her and closed her eyes.

Astrid opened her eyes and she was in a small cosy room, with pale yellow walls. It was literally her favourite place in the whole wide world. Two soft plush grey sofas sat facing her with dozens of cushions and three fluffy blankets that felt as light as a feather. There was a massive bookcase along the left wall that was overflowing with books. Her and Auntie Emily had settled into a pattern that the top half is all Auntie Emily's books and the bottom half is Astrid's. She can add books and borrow books as she wants but she has to ask for Emily's books. The rug on the floor was an array of reds oranges and yellows, like it was threaded fire. The room felt like home to Astrid. She let out a sigh of relief as she stepped down from the fireplace and walked over to the bookcase. As she browsed, Emily rounded the corner with a beaming smile. Her hair, usually tied back to show her profressionalism was loose and resting on her shoulders. Her suit had been swapped out for jeans and a-shirt with a soft hoodie. She wrapped her arms tightly around Astrid, who laughed and hugged her back. After 3 seconds, Astrid tried to pull away but Emily wasn't having any of it.

"Nuh-huh! You are not getting away this time!" She gripped tightly as Astrid tried even harder to pull away, causing the two to wobble and and fall over the back of the sofa. They ended up half on the sofa, half on the floor, both laughing. It took a moment to catch their breath.

"So what started the argument this time?" Auntie Emily asked, a small sad smile gracing her lips.

"I don't know but my name was mentioned more than once." Astrid replied, her eyes suddenly looking off unfocused, obviously replaying the memories in her head. Emily sighed. She knew her only niece was strong and clever and wonderful but her parents fought almost constantly and the poor girl often found herself hopelessly lost and stuck in the middle of the two. To be honest, if it was up to Emily, she would take Astrid out of that home and look after her herself. It wasn't a fit home for anyone. She loved her sister, she really did, but she was being a terrible mother to Astrid and that just wasn't fair or right.

"Hey, it doesn't matter." Emily whispered softly, trying to bring out the lively energetic girl that she knew and loved so well. "We can do something fun." She pulled herself up off the sofa before helping Astrid up and pulling her into her arms. With her free hand, she stroked her dark hair and felt her mystic blue eyes shut tight against her arm.

"It's okay." She whispered.

A/N Hey guys. It's been a while. I recently have had stuff going on and been a bit busy and not had much time but I realised I could post the first finished half of what I had already written. So this is a short update and I can tell you, things have been sorted and I still have a few weeks of no school and no plans so I will be writing more and should get back on track. Sorry for taking so long.

On a happier note though, this story's reads are at 1k!!!!! I am so happy!! Thanks to everyone who has been reading and I am glad some people have been enjoying it!! Hope you all are good and having a good summer! :)

-Blah478