Chapter One - Cold Brew

The steam billowed around the small girl as the espresso machine hissed. The weekday morning rush was always the busiest for coffee orders, and the short brunette could already feel the stress bubbling up in her chest. She could feel the underneath of her auburn hair beginning to fall from its bun due to the steam and her sweat.

They were on the tail end of the rush, with almost all of the professionals seeking a quick coffee slowly making their way out. The cafe was bustling. It was a cute little coffee shop known for its fresh ground coffee beans and delicious food. It was packed nearly all day, serving breakfast in the morning and lunch in the afternoon. The brunch they offered on the weekends had even made the local news.

It was only nine in the morning and she already been at work for four hours, mind foggy as she thought to her coming breakfast break. The owners were good friends of hers who were desperate for a reliable morning worker, so she had gotten into work around five to set up for the day.

"Hey, stupid barista!" a man called for her. His necktie was tied much too tight and his face was already flushing red in anger. She could see the flecks of silvery hair amidst the gray, catching the light and making him look even older than he probably was. "I asked you for three sugars! This is much too sweet! Can't you even count?" He slammed the paper cup onto the counter, the hot coffee spilling onto the counter and catching the tips of her fingers.

She flinched in pain but nonetheless put on a smile. She capped the lid on a small iced latte that she was making for another customer and passed it to the cashier, turning to the angered customer, stinging hand reaching for the cup.

"I'm sorry, sir. I'll make you a new one free of charge. I can leave it black and you can add your own sugar at the station over there, if you want."

"I'm not making it myself, that's what I paid you for!" He grabbed the cup from her hands, angrily shaking it in front of her and causing more of the burning liquid to splash on her hands.

She was used to the burn after working in the cafe for a while. But she was tired after the long morning so she did her best to smile. "Okay, I'll make you another one then. Just a moment!"

She turned to the station and poured another coffee, grabbing him a larger sized cup as a courtesy and adding exactly three spoonfuls of sugar. She capped a travel lid and handed it to him, apologizing before looking to the next tickets so she could finish up on her orders.

"Hey, what's wrong with you!?" he angrily says. "Now it's not sweet enough! Can't you do anything right? Where's your manager! I want a refund!"

He once again slammed his cup on the counter, the boiling coffee splashing her hands a third time and causing her to squeal in pain.

She did her best to force a smile, golden eyes brimming with tears due to the pain. Her soft voice cracked as she called for either of her managers. One was helping serve the tables in the front of house and the other was helping out with the food in the back. Neither of them seemed to hear her calls. Her coworkers were equally as busy. Eren was elbow deep in crumbled up money trying to ring up the diners and the coffee getters as fast as possible. The others were frantically wiping down tables and making orders.

She was at the point of tears at this point. Customers were beginning to get agitated for the wait. She was running on only a few hours of sleep after having studied nearly all night. Her hands were stinging and painful.

"Oi," an annoyed voice snaps.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry I'll get to you in a second, I'm just-"

"Not you, you brat."