Chapter Thirteen - Eggnog

It was early in the morning when Marley knocked on the door to the guest room. She didn't wait for a response before opening the door, not surprised to find Levi laying flat on his back with his phone held over his head, scrolling quietly.

"Good morning! Merry Christmas, and Happy Birthday!" Marley says cheerfully, a neatly wrapped package in hand.

"Good morning, Merry Christmas to you as well," he replies, locking his phone and glancing at her with sleepy eyes. "And thank you," he says quietly.

"Here, put these on!"

She hands him a bundle wrapped with thick red ribbon and a bow. He carefully tugs at the bow and tilts his head at the package in his hands.

"You can't be seri-"

"Family tradition! Hurry up, we'll be waiting for you downstairs!" She was out of the door before he could say anything else, pulling it behind her and closing it with a heavy thud.

Levi sleepily rubbed his eyes as he went down the elegant staircase. He wanted to laugh at her behavior - she was a grown woman, yet she couldn't help but wake up early for Christmas morning; it was only a little past 7:30 when she had barged into his room.

He felt slightly embarrassed walking into the family room dressed in a pair of red and white fleece pajama pants, decorated with snowflakes and reindeers and looking like a typical Christmas apparel pattern. But Marley wasn't kidding - the Quinn family was all wearing pairs of festive pajama pants, already waiting for him in the family room.

"You weren't kidding about the tradition," Levi says, releasing a breath he didn't realize he was holding as he sat down next to the ginger girl.

"Christmas Day rule in the Quinn house - pajamas and casual dinner. Christmas Eve is the fancy day. Today is just a relaxed day."

Levi wasn't sure how he felt about staying in pajamas all day, but the more he thought about it he figured he'd like the change of pace. He offered to help when Marley's father began lighting a fire in the fireplace and her mother and brother began bringing plates of sugary sweet waffles in for breakfast. He sat next to Marley on the floor, back leaning against the couch as the entire family room became lively and cozy with Christmas music playing softly in the background, a situation he hadn't experienced his entire life.

The lights dimmed as a plate of waffles came in with sparkler candles. Levi stiffened and he could already feel the red creeping up the back of his neck.

Marley started the singing; it was Levi's birthday, after all. After being sung Happy Birthday by her family, he could feel Marley bump her shoulder with his.

"There will be cake later, don't worry!" She smiles, dipping her finger in the whipped cream and swiping it across his cheek.

Levi remained quiet as they all ate their plates of sweet waffles. They were made with chocolate chips and topped with cherry preserves and piled with a tall stack of whipped cream - Black Forest, as Marley had called it.

As they finished up eating, Marley leaned into Levi. "Didn't embarrass you too much, did we?" she asks with a shy smile. "I'm sorry. When I told them it was your birthday on Christmas, they told me they at least wanted to do something so it didn't feel so overshadowed by Christmas Day. I hope it wasn't too much."

"Ah, no," he replies sheepishly. "I just haven't had anyone celebrate my birthday in a while. I was surprised. But it also makes me happy. Thank you."

There wasn't a big exchange of gifts between the family members, but Marley was excited to be giving Levi something for Christmas. The rest of the family had scattered into the kitchen, giving them a little time to themselves to exchange presents.