Chapter Four - A Pinch of Sugar

Her four friends looked at her questionably, eyeing the short male twisting his keys in his hand. Marley was in shock, not at all expecting him to offer her a ride.

"Um-"

"Are you sure you're okay to drive?" Jean finally asks, leaning against the outside of the building. "Didn't you say earlier you had drank eight glasses of scotch?"

Levi pinches the bridge of his nose, visibly annoyed. "I think I know my own tolerance," he says bitterly. "I've never gotten drunk before, no matter how much I've drank. Don't worry, I'll get your precious barista home safe. I just don't think a young woman should be walking home alone at night after a long night of drinking."

Levi's short way of speaking riled Jean up. He stood straight from the building, frowning as he stomped towards the expressionless male. Jean was short tempered, even more so after drinking, so Marley stood in front of him and put her hands on his chest. "Ah, calm down, Jean," she smiles. She turns to Levi, forcing a smile to him. "I'm a little far away, so I don't want to trouble you. I don't mind walking home."

"Tch." Levi pulls out his phone, checking the time with a frown. "I'm not so barbaric as to let a girl walk home alone at night. Especially at one in the morning." He starts stepping backwards, pointing his thumb behind him. "Don't be stupid. Just let me drive you home. I can't deal with a new nurse on Monday because you're starring in a real life version of Taken."

She turns to her friends, sighing in defeat. "It makes sense, huh?" she asks with a nervous laugh. "It'll save me a long walk and a lot of money for a cab."

"Keep your phone on, please," Eren reminds her, giving her a hug.

"Call us if you need anything. And get his license plate so we'll know how to find him," Armin says jokingly, hugging her next.

"He's not a complete stranger," she laughs. "He's my boss. If you need to find him, just ask around for the mean doctor in pediatrics." She finishes her goodbyes, giving each of them another tight hug before reminding them to text in the group chat to let her know they got home. She promises Jean and Marco that she'll try to stop by during a quiet period tomorrow before turning to find the indifferent doctor leaning against the building.

"Finally ready?" he asks, voice drawling. The massive amounts of alcohol he drank visibly did nothing to affect his body. His voice had its typical drawl, making it difficult to tell if he was angry or neutral. His eyes were their usual narrow shape with no signs of redness. His face wasn't flushed from the bubbliness of liquor.

He really didn't get drunk.

She nods, following behind him as they walked down the block. The air wasn't cold but the breeze was chilly, causing her to wrap her arms over her chest to stop her shivering. Levi stops walking and she nearly crashes into his back, before he turns on his heel and shrugs out of his black jacket.

"Oh, no it's okay, I'm not co-"

"Hold onto this for me. I'm hot," he says, cutting her off while handing it to her before turning back around and continuing to his car.

She graciously puts on his jacket, smiling at the instant warmth and scent. Levi was clean smelling, not sterile like the hospital, but clean. He smelled of soap and something fresh like mint, with a small tinge of a sweet wood smell. She holds it tight over her body, the collar covering her nose and allowing her to drown herself in the cozy scent.

She hears the click of a car lock, eyes widening when she sees the car in front of her. The car was a sleek black with beautifully curved edges and spoked rims. The convertible top was down, showing the fresh black leather interior and intricate dashboard. She cocked her head at the winged logo on the back, not at all familiar with the brand of car.