Chapter Twelve - Peppermint Mocha

It was Christmas Eve when Marley had finally decided to pack her things to go home. She'd only be spending a few days there, so it wasn't like it'd be too much work to pack.

Levi had done someone a favor and taken the overnight shift at work, so he'd be coming over after so the two can make the long drive to Stohess together. She was patiently waiting, sitting on the couch after changing her outfit for the third time.

Marley hadn't seen her family in years. Since the cafe opened, she'd spent all of her breaks in Trost with Jean and Marco, since they always hosted the holidays for their family there. She'd only spoken to her family over the phone, and had Facetimed them maybe twice in the three years since she'd last seen them. She was nervous and didn't know how to dress, so she had finally settled on a maroon sweater dress that reached down to her mid thigh, black suede boots that settled just above her knee, and black tights underneath. Her ginger fringe had grown out; the bangs that once sat on her forehead were now framing the sides of her face. She had messily decided to curl her hair the best she could, leaving it in soft waves that went halfway down her back, finishing the outfit with a lipstick that matched the dress.

Her bell dinged not long after she had settled into the couch. Levi was still in clothes from work, but had lost the tie and white coat, leaving him in a pain of black dress pants and a crisp white shirt with the top two buttons undone.

"Morning," she says with a smile.

"Good morning," he replies flatly.

"You could have just called that you were outside," she says with a laugh, reaching for her duffel.

"I came to get your bag. I figured you'd need help," he shrugs, taking the bag and throwing it over his shoulder.

"Ah, right. Thanks," she smiles sheepishly, taking the tote with Christmas gifts off of the couch. "But I'm taking this one. I don't want you dropping it and breaking anything," she grins.

After breakfast the two began the long journey. Levi had insisted on paying for breakfast -- he paid for mostly everything, anyways, so she didn't bother protesting -- she had run a few doors down to the small coffee shop, getting a few pastries and coffees to go for the two of them.

He sipped it quietly while driving. At a red light, he swirled the coffee and shrugged. "That coffee shop is good. Maybe it'll be my new regular shop."

"Hey!" she says defensively, taking a sip of her peppermint hot chocolate. She frowns at the fact that she enjoys the taste. "Alright, I'll admit it's good, but it's not JeanMarco's! We have the best coffee in all of Trost!"

"Yeah, yeah."

"And the best baristas!"

"Is that so?"

"Cutest baristas."

"Ah, speaking of that. I forgot to say it earlier, but you look nice today. You didn't have to dress up just for me," he teases, taking another sip of his coffee.

"Thank you," she says shyly, cheeks reddening slightly. "But don't be conceited. I was just nervous about seeing my parents again. It's been a while."

"I know, I'm just messing with you. There's nothing to be nervous about, though. They're your parents. It'll be fun."

The car ride was long. Stohess was about four hours away from Trost, and that was on a good day with no traffic. There wasn't an awkward silence by the halfway mark, with Levi even holding back laughter at carpool karaoke starring Marley. Her voice wasn't bad, but it was comical hearing her singing along to the radio, incorrectly saying the lyrics, being off by an entire beat, and mumbling the words she didn't remember.