Chapter Eighteen - Green Tea

Marley was at the hospital in a negative pressure room hanging a bag of medication when her young patient got her attention. "Hey Miss Marley, when you get a chance can I get some juice?"

He was the sweetest patient who was unfortunately put in isolation during his treatment of leukemia. He was under Marley's care as Dr. Levi had operated on him a few days ago removing his spleen after a scan showed the spread of his cancer. She spent a lot of time in his room as he wasn't allowed visitors and she was always afraid of him getting lonely.

"Yeah, sweetie, I'll get you some after I finish hanging your meds."

"No need to rush. Take care of the other kids first."

"They've got their own nurses, so it's okay."

"I'm not a kid anymore so you don't have to dote on me too much."

She smiles at him. "Yeah, you're 14 years old. Practically an adult." There was a knock on the door. "Your oncologist is here, so I'll get what you need and let him talk to you."

After getting him his juice she sat down at the nursing station and let go of a heavy sigh. She knew all too well that she got too attached to her patients. It was emotionally taxing looking after him but she was doing her best to help him feel better, physically and mentally. Krista sits down next to her, sliding an iced coffee in front of her.

"Don't let the nurse manager see this," she says with a smile, holding a finger up to her lips. "How's Adam doing?"

"He's doing about the same, unfortunately," Marley sighs. "Thanks for the coffee."

"Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you. That kid deserves all the attention. I could pick up one of your other beds or just pop in and spend some of my time in his room. He must be lonely since his parents can't come."

"I think he'd like if you spent some free time there," she smiles. "Thank you."

Krista leans back in her chair, stretching. She cracks her knuckles before logging on to the computer. "Man, I have to finish charting still."

"Me too," Marley frowned. She loved being a nurse, but charting was the worst.

"Did you give any more consideration to that offer I told you about?"

"I don't know, Krista. I don't think I'd be good at him," she frowns, looking at her hands. "I don't really think I'm smart enough to be a nurse practitioner."

Krista bumps her shoulder. "Hey, don't be like that. I only told you about the offer because I thought you could do it." She sips her coffee before looking at Marley seriously. "I'm not going to force you to do it, but if the only thing holding you back is that you don't think you're smart enough, I'm going to be mad."

Marley thought about the offer again. It was really a great opportunity. She already had her Bachelors of Nursing Science, the BSN, so she'd only have the nurse practitioner courses themselves. And it was a special work study program, meaning she could still work at the affiliated hospital and she'd even be responsible for teaching practical skills to the newer BSN students.

The only problem was that it was in Stohess, four hours away from where she was currently living, and it was a two year long program.

"Alright, alright, that's not the reason. I know I study hard, and not saying I'd cruise right through it but I definitely think I could do it."

"That's the spirit," Krista smiles. "Is it something you think you'd want to do?"

She sighs. "I'd thought about it while I was in school. I thought I'd want to years from now when the time is right."