Chapter Ten

I wake to the sound of the door closing. It's dully lit, indicating it's probably dawn. And yet Henry is removing a soaked beanie from his head, dressed in running clothes. I smile when he looks to me, his eyebrows rise finding me up.

"Do you ever sleep?" I ask, hoarsely. He smirks, removing his coat, still dripping from the downpour outside.

"Rarely."

"And yet you still look so perfect. It should be a crime."

He comes by the bed and leaning down, takes my lips as if he hadn't had them in days. I'm aware that I haven't brushed my teeth so I begin to pull back, uncomfortably chuckling but his hands clasp my jaw, pulling me back to him. When he persists, letting me go with a smile, I roll my eyes, still immensely pleased with him.

He takes a seat on the edge of the bed, facing me. "I have to be at Buckingham today and I don't really know when I'll be able to come back. It- may be a few days."

"Why days?" I ask, suddenly concerned. He shakes his head, grabbing my hand.

"Business with the Queen."

I wait for him to explain further but he doesn't, so I try to fake a smile. "O-Okay... well, I have things to do anyway. I need to find a job, an apartment."

He lifts my hand to his lips, chuckling. "A job?"

"Yes, unlike the Prince of England, I don't have much money at my disposal."

"You're my guest here, Mia. I will take care of the apartment, the money."

My eyes widen, slowly as dread begins to form in the pit of my stomach. "No, Henry."

"Why not?"

"Because if I'm going to be staying for a while, I need to have a life of my own. I can't just sit in a hotel room until you come to see me."

He looks down. "Well, at least let me get the apartment. There is a place not far from here that's just gone on the market. It's close to the side entrance of the palace, which is ideal right now... Mia, we can't let this get out until I speak with the Queen. We need to remain a secret or this- will be dead in the water."

Trying not to grimace, I nod, swallowing. I don't like the idea of living off of him at all. "And you're going to talk to her already?"

"Why shouldn't I?" He tilts his head, smirking gently. "Getting second thoughts?"

I shake my head, leaning forward. I kiss his lips gently. "No. It's just we don't really know each other well. How do you know in a few weeks-"

"If you're about to say how do I know I'll still want you, just stop now," he says, shaking his head. "Mia, I am sure about what I want. And that is to get out of my engagement so that you and I can actually get to know one another without having to be confined to a bedroom."

Wow. I smile, glad for the reassurance. "Alright."

"I did... want to run something by you, if I could though."

I squeeze his hand. "Of course."

"About the job situation, I was wondering if you'd consider taking a separate path. A path for the time being that would make it easier for me to bring up the subject of us to the Queen."

"A path? What kind of path?"

"I would provide you with funds, it would look like you came into money from someone and with those funds, we'd figure out different charities to donate to, under your name. Which would get you introduced into the inner royal circle. The Queen will favor you for your humanitarian work and will be glad you are aware of how being a socialite works. It's the smoothest way I see us going ahead with this."

I feel like I should be gaping. I'm flabbergasted but my mouth is still shut closed. I blink, shaking my head. "I'm sorry, I don't know if I'm understanding you... correctly. You want me to take money from you. You want me to let you put that money into charities under my name. And you want me to actually go to these places, acting like I'm wealthy?"

"It sounds crazy, I know."

"It sounds impossible, Henry. You're telling me to become someone else."

"I don't want you to become someone else, Mia, by any means. You would, yes, show up at events, most that I'd be at as well. It's all about showing your face to them. People recognize new money and the more you are recognized, the easier it is for you and I to go public."

I'm gaping now. I hadn't expected this. I expected things to change but this? I was going to go searching for a job at a club tomorrow. I expected to get a small, dirt cheap apartment for the time being while he and I discovered what we want in this relationship.

By doing this, I'm actually diving into this full throttle. By doing this, I am telling him that I'm in this one-hundred percent. I can't back out. And I'm suddenly terrified.

He scoots closer to me, clasping my face. "I know it's intimidating to think about."

"I am from Queens, Henry. My last job was cleaning bathrooms. I have no idea about English etiquette or charities. I barely know what street my hotel is on."

He smiles, trying to keep me calm. "You have me, Mia. I know everything about this country."

I swallow, feeling like I'm going to be sick. "This-this is a lot to think about."

"I know," he says, understandably. "I know it will be difficult- and I know the enormity I'm asking of you but... Mia, if we are to be together, you need to accept this way of life as your own."

I clasp his wrist, nodding slowly, feeling like I've been hit by a train. This is happening so fast. "I understand."

He releases a breath and wraps his arms around my shoulders, hands clutching my hair. I close my eyes, letting my body relax into his embrace. I clutch his damp t-shirt in my hands, breathing in, hoping to calm down the chaos occurring inside of my body.

...

I was given much time to try and understand what Henry wanted of me. Two days, in fact. I've been stuck inside the palace, unable to leave since the apartment has just been purchased and leaving and coming would be too dangerous. Two days in here is suffocating. I could care less about the butlers, about the never-ending supply of alcohol. I feel out of my league. I feel ridiculous.

I'm approaching day three, on the balcony when I hear the doors open. I turn, clutching the robe tighter but relax when I see Henry there. Despite my annoyance, I smile, glad to see him. He walks towards me, reaching out. I move into him, closing my eyes when he wraps an arm around my shoulder, pressing his mouth to my hair.

He sighs. "Mia."

"What's wrong?" I whisper, looking up at him.

"My grandmother is... dead," he replies, making every hair stand on edge. I pull back, enough to fully look at him. He doesn't look at me though, he's staring out over the rest of the palace. He breathes in, deeply. "The Queen is dead."

"My god, Henry," I breathe, wrapping my arms around him tightly, pressing my cheek into his shirt. "I'm so sorry."

"No one knows yet. N-no announcements been made," he says, sounding like he's having a hard time recovering from the shock. "My brother is... King."

My eyes widen. "And you're..."

He looks down at me then, looking exhausted. "My life is about to get a lot harder."

A/N: :O

Will double update!