Chapter Twenty-Four

"Mia," Henry utters, distantly, obviously upset. Standing just mere feet away from me, he looks even more perfect than I remembered. I shiver, despite myself, hearing my name upon his lips. I close my robe tighter, turning.

"It's late, Henry... You have an important day tomorrow."

I hear him inhale. "You've let yourself get bitter about something you know absolutely nothing about, Mia."

Going right into it... okay. I hum, nodding. "I know what Richard did. I know it got out about us."

"Then you see I had no choice!"

I smile, looking up, trying to conceal my pain. "You had a choice, Henry. You made it."

He stares at me like I've grown three heads. "When did you suddenly begin to hate me? Huh? You know you left me too. I never hated you."

"I didn't cut you off! I didn't let you go!" I shout, losing my cool. "I didn't leave you while you were down!" I point at him. "I had a man beat the shit out of me, fuck me, use me, Henry and I expected you to be there!" He holds my gaze, eyes wide in horror. "I expected you to choose me!"

He closes his eyes, sucking in a breath. "I could- not choose you anymore, Mia," he says, through his gritted teeth. "There was no alternative for me. I would be disowned if I went against him this time, completely shunned from everything I've ever known. Can't you see that? He forbid me to see you, and this wasn't as a brother, Mia! He is not my brother anymore. He is a king!"

"I get it," I mutter, throwing my clothes down onto the loveseat.

"No, you don't!" he shouts. "I have been in hell- without you! I don't sleep, I don't eat. You know those movies you go to at the park every week? Well, I go too! I sit at the curb in my goddamn car and I watch you for two fucking hours, literally just to be near you!"

I grit my teeth together and he holds his hands out. "I have given up the one thing I've ever wanted, Mia!" He shakes his head. "It killed me to leave you like that! But my brother- he was livid when the news came out. I said I was leaving to New York, the day you called, and he told me to go to you and say goodbye. If not, he would turn me out of Kensington, out his council, out of everything, Mia. There was no way to change his mind anymore! He forbid this!"

"And when were you ever one to listen to your brother, Henry?" I mutter, crossing my arms. He scoffs, looking down. He looks up just as fast, as if he's just thought of something else to yell about.

"And I don't know why the hell you're on me about this anyway! You're dating fucking Arnold Freeman!"

"You're damn right I AM!" I hiss, angrily, seeing red. And his eyes widen with rage. I'm projecting. "And I have every right to be with someone that actually loves me! That wants to hold me! T-That wants to touch me! That wants to kiss me! BE with me!"

In a rush, he's before me, gloriously angry. I don't even have time to breathe before his lips come crashing down upon mine. His hand tangles into my hair roughly, pushing my face into his with force. I melt into his touch, like a candle close to a flame. We stumble back until I'm against the wall. His hands move until their holding my wrists against the creamy wallpaper. I'm completely at his mercy and glad to be there.

He pulls back, breathlessly, glaring. "Goddammit, I've killed for you, Mia."

I stare at him, chest heaving. I don't try to fight.

"There is no one else that would do that for you! Only me. What would he do in that situation? Tell me, Mia. Would he try to kiss it better, maybe help you move?" His mouth forms into a tight line. "I got rid of him. I got rid of the bastard and his father so you'd be able to walk this earth without fear. If you can't realize that I love you, even after that, then I'll never be able to prove it to you!"