Chapter Twenty-Eight

I sense we're approaching the French Chateau when I begin to see the streets lined with onlookers. They are pointing at the rows of police cars headed towards the gate to the large structure that is Henry's getaway. I look down as we slow, waiting for the gate to fully open. Thankfully, there are less crowds and they don't look as angry either. More look curious than anything.

"They can't see you in here," Henry states. "It's tinted."

I hum, still staring at my lap. When the car begins moving again, I look up as we make our way up the bricked driveway. Holy shit. I gape, pressing my hand to the door in awe.

The Chateau is a comforting sandy color and the size of a small palace. The place is surrounded by rich gardens, full of color. A fountain rests in the middle of the grass, a statue of an angel pouring water from a small vase in the middle of the pool. The grass is vibrant and perfectly cut, the trees tall and full.

It's heaven.

"Nine bedrooms, six bathrooms. A pool, veranda, personal theater, gym and vineyard come with it as well," Henry says behind me. A vineyard?

I shake my head, stunned beyond words. "H-Henry..."

Henry's side opens and he climbs out, reaching his hand for mine. I take it, stepping out into the cool air. I hear birds singing, literally. Henry is grinning when I finally look at him and he takes my hand, guiding me towards the row of people standing outside of the large entrance doors.

I notice Mrs. Ike immediately and nearly scream with joy. I grin wide, letting go of Henry's hand to hurry up to her. She smiles before I wrap my arms around her shoulders tightly.

"Oh, it's so good to see you," I breathe, ecstatically.

"Likewise, Mia. I'm so glad you both are together again."

I smile, looking at the rest of the lineup, realizing it's all of Henry's staff from Kensington. They've all followed him here...

"Let me show you the grounds," Henry says, resting a hand on my back. I nod, following him through the gardens, around the building.

"This is unbelievable," I whisper, staring at the rose gardens near the gate. They are red and pink and in full bloom.

"It was left to me by my father, after he died. He knew my fondness for it... some of the happiest times of my life were spent here."

I press my hand to my chest as we reach the back of the Chateau, where the view removes the breath from my lungs. Beyond the lake just behind the house, the hillsides preside, the trees from the vineyard stretch for acres.

Henry points out towards the vastness. "Beyond there is the ocean. I will have to show you that view."

"I can't even believe I'm looking at this right now," I utter, chuckling. Henry chuckles with me.

"You like it?"

"It's... like heaven," is the only thing I can think to say. I look at Henry and his expression is tender, emotionally tender. I quickly realize this is a moment. One of those moments that will remain in my brain for the rest of my life, ranking into one of the best things that will ever happen to me.

I walk towards him, pressing my hands to his chest, my forehead to his. His hand comes up, his fingers pushing my hair back gently. My heart feels as if it could burst.

"Welcome home," he whispers.

...

"Sometimes I still can't believe you're here," Henry confesses softly, kissing my bare shoulder. "With me."