Chapter Forty

Enzo leans forward, kissing my cheek softly. "We are very sorry to see you go. Until you return," he murmurs, handing me a bottle of wine. I look down at it, seeing my name across the label. Henry is beside me, stiffly.

I look up, trying to smile. "Thank you, Enzo. I will miss you."

He nods, bowing to both of us and retreats, to the rest of the household line. Mrs. Ike and Daniel will be returning to England with us but the rest of the staff are remaining here until we return... who knows how long that will be.

"Have a safe trip, dear," Mrs. Ike murmurs, clasping my face tenderly. Henry is already walking to the car that's waiting. "Stay strong. I know it hurts now..."

"You'll be there soon, right?"

She nods. "In a few weeks, yes."

She pulls back and I grasp her hand, squeezing. "Bye."

Each step feels like a blow as I walk towards Henry, who's standing by the door. I turn, holding onto the door, glancing at the bright, perfect place we're leaving. Our perfect life.

...

It's fitting that the London sky is gloomy when we arrive. Richard spoke to Henry the entire flight, briefing him, preparing him on the other side of the plane. I place my hand on my large belly, rubbing softly.

I have to protect this baby. That is paramount now. I'm having Henry's child- in England. In court, under their customs. From the second this baby comes from me, they will try to control it, possess it. I won't let them.

I stand up when Henry walks over to me, helping me up. "There are reporters outside. Richard had them implemented to document our arriving together."

I nod, grabbing my bag. "Alright."

Richard holds up his hand. "No, Mia. You do not carry a purse. You have a lady's maid assigned to you already... Aileen?"

A woman stands up. I hadn't even seen her the entire flight. She has red hair and too many freckles to count. She smiles politely, stopping before me. I think she's probably around my age. I nearly cringe when she bows.

"Your Royal Highness," she murmurs, her voice ridiculously high. I smile, awkwardly.

"Nice to meet you, Aileen."

She takes my purse, bowing again. Richard nods.

"She will be close to you throughout your pregnancy, so if you need anything, ask her."

I nod, pressing my lips together nervously. The plane is full of important people, advisors and council members. Bodyguards. Officers. I know none of them. I don't know how to even act around them.

The door opens leading to the runway and Richard nods to Henry, walking for the door. Henry turns to me, his eyes unmistakably regretful. I take his hand, breathing in deeply and we walk after Richard. Henry is behind me, hands on my shoulders as we wait for the all clear to step out. Richard turns around and blinks.

"She has to be behind you, Henry," he whispers, without malice. "That is custom, you know that. You are the royal."

"I am aware of the custom," Henry says, slowly, not moving.

"Henry, please," Richard begs, turning back when he's given the clear. I step to the side, walking so I'm behind Henry.

"Mia..."

"Don't make a thing out of it," I murmur, smiling awkwardly. "It's your turn."

He looks down, shaking his head. But he does move forward, stepping out into the flashes and hollers. I follow suit, feeling the icy air against my face. The crowds definitely get louder as Henry and I step out in the king's presence. I focus on getting down the steps in these heels that are killing my feet.