Chapter Thirty-Four

"She has a viral infection," the doctor whispers, above me. Eyes still closed, I feel cold metal press to my heart. "I've given her an injection of Penicillin and some Acetaminophen, which should bring down the fever soon. With the fragility of her situation, I'm glad you called before it got any worse."

"Will the baby be fine?"

"Yes. I believe so. In any case, see your OB/GYN as soon as possible."

"Will she be fine? I mean, she's going to get better soon, right?" The worry in Henry's voice is apparent.

"Yes, Your Highness. She will be better soon. She needs a few days of rest and watchful care. If her fever spikes again, feel free to call me at any time."

I open my eyes, with difficulty, finding Henry's face in the blur. He's walking the doctor to the door, whispering low. I find each time I blink it's harder to remain conscious.

I open my eyes again when I feel Henry's fingers pushing my hair back from my forehead. He leans down, pressing his lips to my collarbone gently. I lift my heavy arms, resting my hands over his hair as he exhales, pressing his cheek against the spot his mouth kissed.

"Why didn't you tell me, damn it?" he whispers, angrily. "Why?"

"I should have," I breathe as he pulls back, looking down at me. I'm lucky he looks more worried than mad. "I... knew if I told you that everything would change... that as a Prince, you would have to marry me before I began to show. And a-after everything we've been through, I didn't want you to propose to me out of obligation."

He sighs, shaking his head slowly. He clasps my hand, kissing my fingers with force. "Mia, nothing I've done with you has been out of obligation. I would never propose to you out of obligation."

I stare at him, sniffling. He tilts his head before he stands up, walking to his coat. He reaches inside, pulling out a small velvet pouch.

"I've been carrying around my mother's ring since I showed up on your doorstep the day I left the wedding."

"Henry..."

"Don't worry, I'm not proposing," he whispers, chuckling softly, looking down at the pouch. "Mia, when I give this to you, it will be because it's the right time, the right place... and will have nothing to do with obligation. Alright?"

I nod, feeling myself becoming a blubbering mess. He puts the ring back into his coat and comes to me, clasping my face. I run my fingers through his hair, positive I look like I'm dying but he's still staring at me like I'm the sun anyway. He sighs, defeated and shakes his head.

"I'm too relieved to be cross with you right now," he admits begrudgingly.

I'm beginning to feel drowsy but I can't help but ask, "Are you happy?"

He grins, chuckling. "About the baby?"

I nod, tilting my face into his hand as he wipes my delirious, scalding tears.

"I'm... so happy," he replies softly.

"Despite the timing?"

He nods, smiling. "Despite the timing."

...

I press my face into Henry's chest, in the dark. "Where is your brother?"

I feel him inhale, his arms around me are a protective barrier from the cold of the room. "I told him that I needed time to think. That I needed to talk to you before I made any plans."

"He's giving you the chance to go back into England, Henry... I know you want that."

"We just moved here. I've... It may seem silly but I've imagined us here now... seeing the years ahead."