[5]

"Connor, I didn't know you...well..." His mother began, stuttering in attempt to find the right words, but I knew what she meant.

"Had a friend?" Zoe commented, a smug grin on her face as she spoke. 

"That's not what I was going to say," The older woman smiled sweetly in my direction, holding her hand out and gesturing to two of the spare seats. "Why don't you eat down here with us today? I'll dish something up for Evan." I look over to Connor, who stuffed his hands into the pockets of his hoodie. 

"No, no, it's okay mom. We just want to go upstairs and-"

"Oh come on, Connor. It'd would...um...well, be nice to have you sit with us, as well as your guest." Connor glanced down at me, as if to subtly ask what I wanted to do. I stared blankly in return, not really sure what to say, after all I didn't want to seem rude. The tall brunette sigh deeply, obviously trying to convey to his family that he doesn't want to be with them, before taking a seat opposite his father. I slowly shuffled over to the seat adjacent to him and sat down. 

"Here you go, Evan," his mother said, placing a plate of food before me, before doing the same with Connor. I couldn't remember the last time I had the opportunity to have a homecooked meal.

"Thank you, Mrs.Murphy," I mumbled, sitting stiffly before glancing at Connor. In return, he gave me a reassuring smirk.  The family began tucking into their meal, the brunette also joining in hesitantly. I delicately shovelled some of the food into my mouth, trying to act as discreet and polite as possible. 

"How's school going for you all?" Mr.Murphy finally said, obviously trying to make conversation and swallowing what was in his mouth.

"Fine, but I already have tonnes of homework," Zoe returned.

"What about you boys?" Mrs.Murphy's voice was sweet-sounding, and it was clear that she was genuinely curious. Connor and I looked at one another instinctively. 

"Well...it's alright I guess..." The other male managed. 

"Uh...yeah...we're already preparing for tests and such..." I added, struggling to find something general to say. Overall, I'd usually struggle to find something to talk about, but this particular situation was a tricky one. After all, school itself was the same as it's always been, perhaps even with added pressure with it being senior year, but after befriending Connor, it had become somewhat tolerable. I was no longer alone, and I really appreciated him for that. 

~

The meal was eventually over, and the two of us were dismissed, able to act on our own accord once more and not feel the pressure of making polite conversation. After all, when it's only us, conversation comes naturally. 

"Sorry we had to sit down there with them," Connor stated, picking up a controller and pressing 'start' on the game.

"You don't need to apologise," I retorted, mimicking him in taking a controller before sitting on his bed with him. "Hey, you know what your Mom said? About it being nice to have you sit with them?"

"Yeah?" 

"Well... why don't you usually?"

Connor sigh deeply, almost irritated by my inquiry. "I'd rather be alone...or at least, I used to. Well, I still do but....you get what I mean." I nodded in return, before turning my attention to the video game. 

~

Well, daily updates didn't last long...oh well, I hope you enjoy this (late) chapter!

-TeenyWeenyCoconut