CHAPTER EIGHT // OVER ASKING

This had been a good idea, I mean originally, when in my panic – had seemed the most logical. Now, that I was four hours into the drive and the snow was starting to become more and more visible on the ground, piling on the sides from the ploughs and all.

I wanted to turn around but I had this letter planned out...

Hi Ean,

Please call me.

- Amy Black

That was it. It's all I had, no out pour of love, no, I'm having your child! No nothing. I just needed him to call me and then once I got through that task, I would... I wasn't sure on that either. I guessed getting him on the phone would be a start though.

I knew I should have brought Beth with me, she would have been able to really walk me through. It was so unlike me, however, my mind and body had been taken over by Ean Hunter, I was at his mercy – or it seemed so.

I really hoped he'd hate me. Would make it easier, at least then I'd be able to keep my lifestyle... but what if he didn't hate me... Maybe he would move to the city...

I let out a laugh.

Holy crap, I was losing my mind!

For one, I was laughing to myself, while driving to what... leave bushman a note! I started to laugh more.

Then stopped my craziness as I passed the gas station and general store. A lump in my throat grew. I was closer then I'd thought.

I wasn't going to stop to peak my curiosity with Martha. I was hell-bound for his home. I knew what driveway to look for, or I hope I did. I had waited to see it once coming back from Forrest Mountain with Beth and Steve and had tried to burn the image in my mind as something I would never see again.

I could have hit myself then, I just had no clue what I was about endure.

I drove for another half an hour till I came up to it. I saw the originality of the cedar carved house address and then the well built gate that was... open.

My eyes took it in as I pulled up, off the road.

I looked over the intricate engravings, noticing the half covered retail sign in the snow that said for sale.

“What!” I burst, my heart slamming in my chest, “Shit. What!” I was confused, Ean Hunter was selling his bushman inn?

I swallowed and took in what that meant but all I felt was panic and I wasn't even sure why.

My foot on the break let up and the car rolled forward, moving down the ploughed incline of snow towards the log house.

What if he was home!

What if...

I choked on my breath as I pulled up in front of the home, seeing two cars but not his white pick up. It was literally the most painful thing I'd ever endured, seeing his house again. My head immediately went back to the time I'd spent with him.

I tried not to cry as I pushed it in park and just stayed frozen, staring at it.

“Oh my god.” I breathed as the front door opened and a man walked. He must have been a realtor, he was in a clean pressed suit and shiny leather shoes.

He smiled and waved at me, before walking towards my white beamer.

I undid my seat belt with shaking hands and clambered out, pathetically too.