6. Hiroto Maehara

H/C = Hair Color

Reader POV

____

With the sounds of partying and happiness all around me, I draw my knees closer to my chest and rest my cheek on my arms, which are folded over my legs. I close my eyes and try to breathe with my mouth, as if it could prevent me from breathing in the sadness I can't seem to stop drawing from the chatter in the air.

I shouldn't have come here. I should've just stayed at home as I wanted to. There's nothing to do here but to wallow in my pathetic sorrows and self pity.

Raising my head slightly, I see the Seven Minutes in Heaven game they've set up. They all laugh and talk excitedly as the boys in my class write down their names on their slips of paper and hand them Nakamura, who is running the game. Sighing, I put my head down, not wanting to watch the first pair go in.

In my mind, I see them walking out hand in hand, smiling and laughing together. I see them completely in love with each other, the way he looks at her with a softened gaze, his adoration visible... Too bad no one can feel that way for me. I squeeze my knees even tighter. I think, again, that I shouldn't be here. I'm so out of place amid these happy, smiling people.

"Y/N! It's your turn now!"

I flinch in surprise at my name being called. "What?" I ask, startled, my head jerking up.

Nakamura pulls me up, her grip strong on my arm. I open my mouth, about to ask what's going on, but she answers for me. "It's your turn to play."

"Play...what?"

"Seven minutes in heaven, of course!" she says, excitedly.

"No way!" I say, my jaw dropping in horror. Doesn't she understand? I don't want to party like them, I just want to be alone.

"Forget about that jerk. Stop thinking, just for the night," she insists, her eyes focusing on mine. My resistance melts away, and I look away, sighing, allowing myself to be dragged into the room.

"Wait, don't I get to pick the paper-" I say suddenly, remembering something.

Nakamura grins, a set of devil horns appearing on her head. "Just leave it to me~" she says, grinning.

"But then it's not Seven Minutes in Heaven," I protest, suddenly scared about what she plans to do. In reply, she shuts the door in my face. I stare at it in surprise and apprehension and then turn away, shaking my head. I lean against a wall and shut my eyes.

I don't hear the door open, but when I look up, he's standing in front of me.

"Maehara?" I ask in disbelief. What the hell was Nakamura thinking? MAehara, of all people. I make a mental note to plot my revenge on her later. Maehara smiles casually and leans on the wall next to me. I pointedly stare straight ahead, ignoring him and my sudden longing.

"Would a kiss make you feel better?" Maehara asks playfully, winking at me. He leans forward and lowers his voice. "Or how about a date later?"

I glance at him quickly and then look away, blushing a little. The corners of my lips turn up slightly in a ghost of a smile that fades away.

Maehara sighs. "That guy isn't worth your time. He never was in the first place," he says.

He's referring to my latest boyfriend, some jerk from Class B. He had seemed nice, and he had even made me feel hopeful that someone could actually accept and love me for who I was, that I could fit in somewhere other than E Class. It wasn't that I wasn't happy here, but the opinions of other people mattered too, and it hurt to see them looking at me like an inferior being just because I was placed here. So when he had been nice to me, I had been eager to spend my time with and get to know him.

And yet, I wasn't surprised when he called me a "bitch," as if it was all my fault, and when he had shown up to meet me with someone else in tow.

"Y/N..." Maehara says softly.

"I know," I mutter. "I know he's not worth it. It's just..."

"I understand," he says firmly, putting a finger to my lips when I try to speak. "It's not just him, it feels like you'll never find the right person, right?"

I just stare at him.

"Like no one will ever accept you? Like no one can love you? Like the problem wasn't him, it was you?"

Maehara pushes off the wall and steps in front of me, forcing me to look at him. He puts his hands on my shoulders.

"Don't ever tell yourself that it's your fault. You're beautiful, and you deserve better," he tells me.

I try to choke back my feelings as a wave of emotion rises inside me, but tears still come to my eyes. I try to speak again.

"Shh..." he whispers. "Close your eyes."

My eyes widen instead. But... he smiles, looking at me patiently. I study his orange-brown, wavy hair, and his eyes. They twinkle with good humor, but I think I catch a faint glimmer of steel in them, something that tells me that he is serious.

I give him a small smile and obligingly close my eyes.

I feel him moving nearer, like a soft gust of wind, bring warmth and relief with him. As our lips meet and close on each other, his arms, wrapping around me, I feel golden fingers of peace and... is it love?... reaching for me, grabbing ahold of my senses. The kiss is deep, transporting me instantly to another world. My troubles, my uncertainty, and my fear all flutter away, suddenly insignificant. My head brushes gently against the wall as I tilt my head up, nearly standing on tiptoe to reach him. Even so, he is way taller than me, and he has to lean down a bit. His hands slip down to my waist, and then they push my shirt up a few inches. He strokes my bare skin, making me shudder with silent pleasure.

Maehara suddenly draw back, and my eyes blink open, my mouth opening in protest. His orange-brown eyes are soft, looking at me with such tenderness that my words leave me. I close my mouth.

With my heads raised to look at him, he leans back down, his mouth ending up on my neck. As his teeth carefully graze my neck, I inhale sharply, a feeling darting through my body and impaling my heart. I feel the soft suction from his mouth, the gentle prick of teeth, the small nibbles that follow each kiss, sending pleasure shooting through me, making me weak-kneed.

"M-maehara," I gasp.

His head raises up. I feel his warm breath tickling my ear before he rises up to his full height, placing a kiss on top of my H/C hair. I freeze, feeling the tenderness behind his action. He pulls me away from the wall, his arms moving away from around my waist to wrap around me, comforting me.

Feeling myself relax, I put my arms around him and return the hug.

This time, I do hear the door open, slowly and tentatively.

"Time's up," I hear someone call in, but quietly, as if they're as unwilling to break the moment as I am.

As Maehara gently pulls away from the hug, he whispers into my ear,"Don't ever let someone like that hurt you and make you believe no one will ever love you. It's not true..." -- his fingers entwine with mine as he finishes his sentence-- "because I do."