15. Rio Nakamura

"U-um...I don't really want to play..." I say again, my soft protests going unheard.

"Oh, come on, just choose one already!"

I sigh inwardly. I've always been the quiet and shy one in class, so I usually go unnoticed at parties and gatherings like this. For some reason though, my classmates choose today to notice that I'm one of the only girls left to play Seven Minutes in Heaven, and that I've never played before. I was a bit surprised when they asked me to play, but it seems like they still aren't listening to what I say. (-_-')

Don't get me wrong, they're good classmates, but I'm just never forceful enough to make them listen to me. Sure enough, it doesn't take long for me to relent and draw a name.

"So who did you get?" an excited voice asks me.

"Um...I got Sugino?" I say uncertainly. With that, I am pushed into a dimly lit room with Sugino. Before the door closes, I get a glimpse of a certain blonde girl glaring at me.

-Seven Minutes Later-

Sugino and I walk out of the room, looking awkwardly away from each other, both of our cheeks tinged pink. Karma pops up in front of us with a camera.

"Say cheese," he says teasingly before blinding us with a flash. "Oh, whoops, the flash was on..."

"Karma..." I say helplessly.

"What? We've gotta document this moment. I mean, this was your first time playing, wasn't it?" he says, chuckling at my discomfort.

"It's not like she had a choice!" an angry voice interrupts before I can open my mouth to reply. I stare, my lips parted in surprise. Standing in front of me, her face up against Karma's, is a girl with long blonde hair.

"N-nakamura?" I stutter. The girl turns around to face me, catching me in the gaze of her light blue eyes.

"We need to talk," she decides, before grabbing my sleeve and dragging me away. Karma smirks and waves at me while Sugino stares at us with slight confusion on his face.

"This room is ours!" she announces before barging into the same room I had just been in with Sugino. I blush at her bold declaration and sigh with relief when I see that the room is empty.

"Um..." My voice trails off uncertainly. Nakamura turns and studies me, her usual mischievous smirk gone from her face and replaced with an expression that is too serious.

"So...how was it?" she asks.

"W-what?!"

"Is Sugino a good kisser?" she asks.

"I don't really... well, I'm just not into guys...like him," I mumble, confusion filling my thoughts. Why would Nakamura bring me here away from everyone else just to ask about that?

"Why do you want to know?" I manage to ask. Instead of replying, Nakamura suddenly moves close to me. I remain stuck at my spot, staring into her eyes. The air between us fizzles with electricity, melting my thoughts into mush. I feel my cheeks grow hot. I distractedly notice Nakamura's eyes narrow, showing conflicted emotions behind them. Rooted to the floor, body paralyzed, I watch as she seems to reach a decision. She leans even closer, her face passing mine.

With her mouth close to my ear, she speaks quietly: "If you don't want to do things like that, then don't, or else people might get the wrong idea." My ear tingles, feeling her gentle breath on my skin. As she draws back, I feel her hand grip the collar of my shirt, feel her thumb rub across my collarbone. Her movements feel intimate, which, as I realize when I see the glint in her eyes, is intentional.

As we look at each other, I feel a strange, unfamiliar burning, a temptation that no one else could give me. It makes the timing of every breath we take together feel intentional. Unlike with Sugino, it feels right to be so close to Nakamura. My eyes close as our lips find each other easily, like pieces of a puzzle. Her skin is warm and smooth, giving me the courage to put an arm around her waist and pull her closer to me. She makes a surprised but pleased sound and responds quickly by pushing her fingers through the locks of my hair. Her grip on my shirt tightens as she pulls me onto the tip of my toes.

Her shirt pushes up as I wrap both my arms around her waist, rubbing the skin of her back. The kiss deepens then breaks, and, wasting no time, she latches her mouth to the base of my throat, trailing her lips up and across my jawline. I turn my face to meet her lips and we kiss lightly.

Suddenly, uncertainty flashes through my mind, making me draw back from her. Wait, what was that? Catching on to my hesitation, Nakamura lets go of me and steps back, her expression composed. She gives me her usual mischievous look and smiles.

"Sorry, guess I got a little carried away there," she says, laughing it off, though I see a flash of hurt cross her features. My mouth opens, then closes. I don't know what to say. I don't know how to explain what just happened, how I feel, when I don't even know myself. Her smile painfully slips off her face when I don't reply. I take a tiny step toward her, but my mind stays blank. What to say... what to say...? Nakamura seems equally short on words, too, just standing and watching me with a carefully formed smile on her face.

I want to be back in her embrace, to sink into the warmth of her body. Desire pushes through me, sudden and relentless, making me notice things, like the lock of hair that's always in front of her face, and the shadow it casts on her cheek.

There's nothing to say, I realize, nothing to tell that I can't show her, that she can't show me. With that thought, I walk up to her and hug her fiercely.

"It's okay," I say. A smirk forms across her lips and she cups my cheeks gently.

"Don't ever do that again, okay? Don't scare me like that," she says, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Okay," I promise, leaning into her arms.