8. Ryuunosuke Chiba

Reader POV

___

"Y/N, do you wanna play?" Kayano asks eagerly.

"Wha-? What is this?" I ask, startled out of my thoughts.

"Y/N, seriously?" she mock scolds me.

I laugh, sheepishly. "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention..."

"When are you paying attention?" Kayano replies, rolling her eyes. She has a point. I always seem to have my head in the clouds, my mind drifting away on its own. The only time I am focused is when I'm shooting. I'm the third best in the class, after Chiba and Hayami. I quickly push the sudden image of the boy with his overgrown bangs out of my head.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I ask, seeing Kayano looking at me expectantly.

"Seven minutes in heaven!" she exclaims. I jump back a little as she looks at me eagerly.

"I... what?" I ask, a little confused.

Kayano sighs, annoyed. "Here, just take one!" she says, thrusting a bag full of papers into my face with an excitement that is usually reserved for pudding (and Nagisa ;) )

"Ok..." I pluck a piece of paper from the top of the small pile and read the name on it.

Chiba Ryuunosuke

My heart begins to beat faster at the sight of his name. Kayano takes the paper out of my hand. She smirks, seeing the name, and nudges me, excited.

"Wait... what does it mean...?" I ask apprehensively, suddenly wishing that I went to parties more often so that I would know what awaited me.

"You'll see," is all she replies, chuckling to herself.

She grabs my wrist, pulling me reluctantly along, and stops in front of a door. She opens it with a flourish. I hesitate, but I know I can't escape my fate. I walk in with my shoulders slumped, looking down at the ground.

"See you in seven minutes!" Kayano calls in after me.

"Thanks," I grumble.

The room is dark, only a faint glow of light leaking in from the doorway. The door opens again, and he walks in.

Chiba walks toward me and stops a foot away.

"Hey," I say casually.

He nods at me. "Hi."

We stay silent, studying each other carefully. His hair covers his eyes, but I can still feel his gaze on me, like I always do. I can always feel a slight burning feeling where he looks, when he gives me advice on my shooting.

"What are you thinking about?" Chiba asks suddenly.

"I just... nothing," I say hastily, blushing a little. I am glad the room is dark.

"Hm," is all he says.

I find myself wondering what his eyes look like. We had been in the same class before transferring, but we had sat at opposite sides of the class. I hadn't really noticed him until we were both moved here. And then... something was planted in my heart while I watched him and his perfect shooting, something that grew and grew into this.

I notice that he seems to be hesitating with something. I lick my lips nervously.

"Well, what are you thinking about?" I ask, breaking the silence that stretches between us. Chiba seems surprised by my question.

"I mean, it's ok... if you don't want to answer..." I stammer quickly, realizing that it's unfair of me to ask him when I don't even answer his questions myself.

"It's alright," Chiba says calmly, his voice low and smooth. "I was just thinking about how hard it is to tell what you're thinking."

"Oh..." My mind goes blank. Me? Chiba, the one I look up to, the one that makes my nerves go crazy with just a glance, was thinking about me?

"I was... I was thinking about you too," I blurt out suddenly. I gasp and clap my hand to my mouth. Whoops.

Chiba places his hands on my cheeks. "Your cheeks are warm," he observes. I stutter out an incoherent reply through my fingers. His mouth curves up in a smile as he pulls my hand away from my face. He steps forward again, stopping when his body is just an inch from mine. Looking up at him, I realize how close our faces are. I lick my lips, nervous at the closeness.

"Y/N, would you be okay with it... if I...?" he asks, his voice trailing off at the end of his question.

Would I be okay with it if... what? My eyes land on his lips. Does he mean... does he want to...? I manage to nod. "Yes," I say over the loud sound of my heartbeat.

He leans forward slowly, his lips landing firmly on mine.

My body comes to life as he pulls away.

"Ch-chiba," I gasp before suddenly lunging forward, my lips locking desperately on his with a fierceness I hadn't realized I had. He stiffens, shocked, before responding. His lips move with mine. Muffled gasps come from both of us as our mouths shift, coming apart for a second before closing on each other again. I want more. The thought flashes through my mind. My lips part and I feel my tongue, moving on its own, curiously sliding through my lips, probing the entrance to his mouth. His mouth opens, his own tongue tentatively meeting mine. The tips of our tongues caress each other, trying each other out.

"Y/N," Chiba says my name quickly. His tongue moves past my lips, exploring the corners of the inside of my mouth. I moan, my eyes closing, my senses closed to everything but the pressure of his lips and the feel of his tongue against mine.

We separate, chests heaving. My mind is a torrent of shock at what we had been doing. I am shocked at myself, for that sudden daring I had felt, for doing what I hadn't thought I was capable of. My eyes opening, I realize that Chiba is looking at me. I smile weakly at him, avoiding his gaze.

"Are you alright?" he asks, putting his hand to my chin and gently tilting my face up, forcing me to look at him. "I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't have."

"No," I whisper. "Don't apologize."

Again, my body moves on its own, not giving a thought to the anxiety and hesitation I feel. I wrap my arms around Chiba, pressing my cheek to his chest. The top of my head fits under his chin. Feeling brave as his arms close around my shoulders, I tilt my head up and gently press my lips to the crook of his neck.

"I like you, a lot," I say suddenly, as the words come to my mind. I keep my arms around him and close my eyes, holding my breath, feeling that everything hangs on the balance of this moment. Everything depends on his reply.

I feel his arms tighten around me before withdrawing. I lean back, letting my breath out. So that's his reply. My eyes are still closed, but I can feel his gaze on me.

"Y/N..." Chiba says lightly, uncertainly.

"It's ok," I mutter, feeling foolish. "It doesn't matter."

Silence. I want to open my eyes, but I'm afraid of what I'll see.

I sense movement before I feel my body enclosed in warmth. Chiba's lips are light and soft as they place a gentle kiss on my mouth. I feel my legs tremble as a sound escapes me. His stable arms reach around me.

"I like you too," he says.