11. Tomohito Sugino

"Um, I've never played before," I say, unsure of how to reply to being invited to play 7 Minutes in Heaven. I don't go to parties much, and when I do, I usually just wander between groups of people, not really a big part of the festivities. So when Nakamura appeared out of nowhere with a glint in her eye and a bag full of names, I was taken by surprise.

"That's okay," Kayano says, standing next to me. "It's not a big deal, just for fun." She smiles. I look away from her face uncomfortably, my eyes wandering to a group of boys at the other side of the room. I study their faces, feeling self conscious as a strange kind of hope seems to unfurl inside me. It wouldn't be so bad... Before the thought can finish, I find myself nodding and gingerly picking a slip of paper.

"That's the spirit!" Kayano says, grinning. I roll my eyes at her and look at my paper.

"Ooh, who's the lucky guy?" Nakamura asks, snatching it from me, the written name flashing before my eyes for less than a second.

Tomohito Sugino.

Nervous anticipation pounding in my chest, I make my way to the small room that has been set aside for this game. As soon as I get to the center of the room, the door is pulled open again, revealing Sugino.

"Hi," I say cautiously as the door closes, shutting us both in. My mind blanks and I feel a little lost, unsure of what to do. I don't know Sugino that well, only having talked to him through having mutual friends and the occasional school project. My impression of him is that he's nice (and cute), and he's easy to talk to, but that's all I know. Still, I like him, and I'm glad he's the one I picked.

Nervousness flutters in my chest as I begin to play with the hem of my shirt. We stare at each other, both of us uncertain. He's a lot like me, I realize. Frankly, we both aren't anything really special. We have plain looks, and we aren't especially outstanding in class. We don't have many enemies and we're on pleasant terms with almost everyone. In short, we are both boring people.

I notice as Sugino swallows and avoids my eyes. He's just as uncomfortable as I am. He's probably thinking the same too, questioning his decision to agree to this.

"Um, well..." My voice cuts through the silence like a knife through butter, startling both of us. I lick my lips. "We, um, we don't have to, you know, do anything... If you don't want to."

Sugino stares at me, and for one moment, a moment that hangs suspended in the air between us, I think I've got it wrong. Maybe he does want to do this, but I just went and opened my stupid mouth and ruined it. I open my mouth to correct myself.

But then a relieved smile spreads across Sugino's face. "I'm sorry, I just never play games like these. Would it be alright if we just..." Sugino gestures at the ground and then sits down, and I follow suit, crossing my legs underneath me.

"So, um, what do you want to talk about?" I ask, feeling awkward and, deep down, a little disappointed. Keep it together, I remind myself, it's just seven minutes.

So we talk, about random topics, going from that baseball game we played against A Class to how funny Koro Sensei gets when he's flustered, to our stories of how we got transferred down.

Hearing his, I gasp in surprise, " Wait, really? That's just the same as me!"

We stare at each other in disbelief and a hint of something else, some other emotion, but I just can't tell what it is. Maybe it's a little bit of loneliness, mutual loneliness, or it's that feeling when you realize something and you know you shouldn't let it go. It's a little bit of both, I finally decide.

This might be my only chance. A fast disappearing seven minute period that's strangely intimate, just him and I, and it might never happen again. I wonder if he's thinking the same way, if he also thinks it's a bit of a shame.

I gasp in surprise, " Wait, really? That's just the same as me!"

We stare at each other in disbelief and a hint of something else, some other emotion, but I just can't tell what it is. Maybe it's a little bit of loneliness, mutual loneliness, or it's that feeling when you realize something and you know you shouldn't let it go. It's a little bit of both, I finally decide.

This might be my only chance. A fast disappearing seven minute period that's strangely intimate, just him and I, and it might never happen again. I wonder if he's thinking the same way, if he also thinks it's a bit of a shame.

I'm being cringey. I don't act like this. I don't think like this. But here I am, acting and thinking like a little girl with a crush. With a crush, for God's sake.

The thought is met with silence, and I almost think I said that bit out loud. The conversation having faded away, we stare at each other, our lips parted, eyes wide, so uncertain of what to do. I stare into his eyes, the deep blue of an ocean--so full of life and thoughts, and I find myself yearning for more of what lies behind them.

As my eyes trail across his face, studying him, I realize that he is blushing, even with the dim lighting. My breath catches.

"Um, Sugino?" I say, once more catching myself by surprise. Oh no no don't say it. "Do you think we could... Maybe go back to what we were supposed to be doing?" I flush scarlet after finally getting the words out. Well, at least I didn't stutter, I console myself.

Sugino blinks in surprise. "Yeah, sure," he says. I gape at him. He said yes?! He gestures me closer.

I don't need any more encouragement. I crawl slowly over to him, and he pulls me onto him when I get close. As my body falls onto his, I press my lips enthusiastically to his. His arms close around me and one of his hands pushes down on the back of my head, forcing us even closer together. The kiss is more urgent and more aggressive than expected (not that anybody's complaining), leaving me breathless. We both pause, breathing in and out as our chests heave. I look down at our bodies. Our stomachs are pressed together, and now that we've stopped kissing, my hands prop me up to a higher position than him. His legs are in between mine. We both blush at our closeness.

"Wow," Sugino gasps. Taking advantage of our positioning, I bring my face closer to his until our foreheads almost touch, barely close enough to kiss, but not quite touching. His breath tickles my face, blowing a stray strand of hair away from my neck.

Sugino's eyes narrow slightly. Quickly, he draws his legs back and straightens his spine, bringing his face higher than mine. I pout, and he kisses me again, slowly and gently.

"Oh..." I make a small sound as his kiss floods my senses and I feel my arms shake before they collapse under me. Strong arms catch me in time and I lean eagerly into the support, taking the opportunity to splay my hands on his chest and collarbone, taking delight in the soft shudder that ripples through his body.

Suddenly, the door bursts open, and I break away from him quickly. Sugino looks over my shoulder, frowning at the person behind me.

"What do you want?" he asks, his voice light and breathless.

"Your time's up," I hear someone say with a barely composed voice.

"What's taking so long?" someone else asks, and I hear more footsteps come to the door.

"Oh god," I whisper in embarrassment, and lean forward and bury my tomato red face into his chest.