Men of Letters

twenty-one

"Driver's license says he's Henry Winchester from Normal, Illinois. He knows Dad's birthday, the exact place where he was born. Guys, that's our grandfather."

Lacey turned away from the counter, her eyes training on Henry. He was sitting at the table alone, holding an old photo of him and their dad. She couldn't help but feel sorry for him. Mainly because she had been in his situation.

She had woken up in a completely different world, only to find out two of the most important people in her life were dead. Lacey knew exactly how Henry was feeling.

"I'm just saying before we break out the warm and toasties, let's not forget that, uh, H.G. Wells over there left Dad high and dry when he was a kid." Dean reminded them.

"But maybe he didn't run out on Dad- I mean, not on purpose. Maybe he time-traveled here and, I don't know, got stuck." Sam pointed out.

"Yeah, well, either way, Dad hated the son of a bitch."

"And Dad made up for that how? By being father of the year?" Sam exclaimed just as the waitress set down trays of food in front of them.

"Here you go." She smiled sweetly at them.

"Thank you." Lacey returned her smile, grabbing a tray of food.

"Look, Dad had his issues, okay, but he was always there for us. I freaking hate time-travel, man." Dean tried to defend their Dad.

Sure, Lacey loved her dad, but he wasn't a good dad. He was a good man and a good hunter, but a terrible father.

They carry their good over to the table where Henry was sat, Sam and Dean sitting across from him whilst Lacey took the seat next to him.

"How you doing?" Sam asked.

"I'll be fine. After all, despite everything, I've just met my grandchildren, haven't I?" He held a out a hand to Sam for him to shake. "Henry Winchester. It's a pleasure."

"Sam." Sam took his hand and shook it.

"Hello, Sam." Henry smiled softly.

Henry then offered a hand to Lacey, who took his hand and offered him a small smile.

"I'm Lacey."

"It's nice to meet you." Henry returned her smile. "You know, I always wanted a daughter. It's a delight to learn that I have a granddaughter."

Henry held his hand out for Dean to shake, but Dean didn't shake it. Instead he picked up a basket of food from the tray in front of Sam and set it down in front of him.

"Dinner." Dean grunted.

"This is Dean." Lacey glared at her twin.

"Right."

"Well, this has been touching. How about we figure out how to clean up your mess, huh?" Dean rudely asked Henry.

"Abaddon. Yes. She must be stopped." Henry agreed and nodded.

"How come she didn't die when I stabbed her?" Dean asked, obviously curious as to why his trusty demon-killing knife didn't work on the demon.