Chapter 3

Keegan's POV

The next day, as promised, Josh dropped me off. It was nice, considering the football team happened to be standing off to the side, waiting for me. Nick 'tsk'ed and led them away when he saw Josh, and I gave a small victory smile. Needless to say I'd won this time, but I knew Nick would more than make up for his loss at lunch.

Once Josh had driven away, I was forced to face the wrath of the high schoolers before me, silently judging me while I trudged to my locker. They said nothing, but I knew they hated me. Everyone here, teacher and staff included, shared the football team's opinions. If the football team didn't like something, the entire school hated it. Unfortunately, I was that 'something.'

It was the same routine I'd grown accustomed to. The scorned glares of the people, the teasing classes, the hateful teachers. And why? Because I'm gay? Because I prefer muscled men to short skirts?

They all think every gay is the same, don't they? Do they really believe I like looking at the football team? Is that why they hate me? Sure, the guys on the team are fit, but they're not my type. Even if they were, there's no way I would go out with any of those assholes. To put it as Nick would, 'I actually have standards.'

---

The last class before lunch was dismissed, the teacher having called on me for almost every question until I was sure I could never show my face in that class again. He knew I'd missed the class where they went over today's lesson, and he refused to teach it to me. What sort of teacher doesn't do his job?

It frustrated me, honestly. They think they can single someone out just because the populars tell them to.

Lunch was a matter of life or death. If I don't find a good hiding spot, I'm dead. If I do, I live another day. It's one of those schools where the teachers turn a blind eye to lunch affairs so they can enjoy their own food without interruption. Which basically adds up to a free-for-all. Or, rather, an all against me.

Nobody at this school would hesitate to rat me out to Nick. As far as the guys concerned, I hate the football team, which means I'm the enemy, because no one hates the football team.

All the girls saw me as competition. Because I'm gay - the only gay in school, I might add - I might take their precious Christian away from them. Or even Nick. I shuddered at that last thought.

Chirstian was someone I hadn't interacted much with, so I couldn't really say I hated him. It was just a dislike of his social status and choice of sports. Overall, he wasn't too bad a guy. In fact, he was pretty handsome.

He stood at six foot five, towering over my own five foot frame. His skin was tanned from hours of football practice, and his dark hair fell across his forehead gently. His deep brown eyes stole the breath of many girls, who's sole purpose had become gaining girlfriend status.

He was a conquest, as he had taken few girls to date over the past two years of high school. Many said he had a secret girlfriend, because he was always glancing around in the hallways, and he always stopped to look into the crowds during games. No one knew who she is, but she is the envy of many.

I found it impressive that he could so easily hide who his girlfriend is. Most of the time, if anything was heard about him, it became the center of gossip for the next week.

My hiding spot had proved effective, and I thanked Will, the janitor, for lending me his key to the supply closet. It was dark, but spacious enough for me to eat. It was also the last place Nick would think to look because, let's be honest, when was the last time he had to do chores at school? That's right. Never.

He was never asked to do anything, because I was always the one doing it. I guess I should thank him. Had I not had to do those chores, I wouldn't have gotten so close to Will, and I wouldn't have a good lunch spot.

I silently ate, cringing at anything that crinkled, crunched, rustled or made any sort of noise. Even the slightest movement caused a clattering of cleaning supplies to echo and alert Nick of my hiding spot.

Lunch stretched on, like an endless opportunity for Nick to find me and beat me. It was too long before it finally ended, and I was safe to go to class. I snuck in with the crowd, easily finding my locker and then my class after two years of experience in weaving silently through the halls.

---

By the time school was over, I dared to hope I was home free. Not that anything ever goes my way. Nick leaned against the wall, his usual group stationed right behind him. He smirked down at me, his green eyes flaring with either rage or victory.

Christian was, once again, standing at the back. Did he like seeing Nick beat me up? He must have. Just like everybody else, he's on team Nick.

Nick came close, lifting his arm. I closed my eyes for the punch just as a horn sounded out. "Hey!! What's going on?!"

I turned to see my brother standing by his car. I twisted out of Nick's grasp, scrambling to Josh's side. He pulled me close, eyeing the football team. They were pretty big, compared to me, but Josh was just about the same height, and was probably just as strong. He evenly matched Nick, and had no chance of getting expelled should a fight break out.

Josh looked down. "Who are those guys? What were you doing?"

I looked back at them, Nick retreating with his gang. Christian hung back, almost glaring at Josh. Probably mad I wasn't hit today. I turned away. "Nothing. We weren't doing anything. They're nobody."