Chapter 10

Christian's POV

I practically skipped - skipped - all the way home after seeing Keegan off at the bus stop. Keegan. Keegan, Keegan, Keegan... I love it. It suits him perfectly. I couldn't have thought of a better name. It's sweet and gentle, yet different.

Sighing happily, I didn't realize when I'd arrived home. Rushing to the door, I was greeted by the wonderful scent of my mother's baking. "Christan, is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me."

My mother popped her head into the entrance hall, smiling warmly. "Good. I need your help reaching the sugar. Chop chop, come on dear."

Rolling my eyes and smiling, I followed her into the kitchen and pulled the sugar off the shelf. My mother snatched it from my hands, placing it next to all the other ingredients she had laid out on the counter. My mother is a small, upbeat, happy woman who always smiles the same infectious smile. Her small frame was covered by a pink floral blouse, and plain, worn jeans. Her dark brown hair was up in a messy bun and she moved swiftly through the kitchen. As she worked, she spoke. "By the way, dear, your father and I wanted to attend that game you're having, the one with the shirts and all."

It was tradition in our school that during the last home game of the season, the team's lovers - or their closest friend, usually female - wear their jerseys. "So, who's wearing yours?"

I looked down, thinking of Keegan. "Well... No one, yet. But I did have someone in mind."

She squealed. "Oh! Who is it? Is it that girl you brought by last time? What was her name... Jenna? Jenny? Jennifer?"

I stared at her. "Kaitlyn?"

"Yes, that's the one. Is it her?"

"Mom, that was two years ago."

She frowned. "Oh. Then who's your current girlfriend?"

"I don't have one."

My mother frowned, turning to the bowl in front of her as she mixed various things together. "Then who on Earth do you have in mind?"

Swallowing, I shoved my hands into my pockets. "Well... I.... They're... His name is... Keegan."

"Ooh, Keegan. That's a pretty name. What's she like?"

"That's the thing."

My mother turned, her baking forgotten as she listened with interest. "Keegan is... A guy."

We were silent, my mother processing what I'd said while I rocked back and forth on my heels awkwardly. "You mean... A friend, right? You don't have a girlfriend, so you want your friend to wear your jersey?" She said it slowly, phrasing it as a question even though she acted like it was true.

I shook my head. "No... I... I like Keegan. As more than a friend. I want to date him." She was silent, so I quickly rambled on. "See, I haven't confessed yet, so he doesn't know, but I was hoping to do that when I ask him to wear my jersey."

My mother paled, staring at me as if I was some foreign object. "Dear, you don't mean that... Right?"

"It's true." I said, my confidence slowly coming back. "... Mom?"

She shook her head, moving out of the kitchen and sitting at the dining table. Waving her hand, she sighed. "I just... Need minute to process this."

I nodded, biting my lip. She doesn't accept it. I knew it would happen. But I had to tell her, at least. Turning, I began to walk out of the kitchen, but my mother stopped me. "Christian, wait!"

My head lowered and I turned back around. A loud sigh echoed through the room. "Christian..." My mother put her hands against my cheeks, lifting my head to meet her eyes. "Just because I don't understand doesn't mean I don't accept."

"R... Really?"

She nodded, slowly at first before becoming more confident. "Yes." She pulled away, clapping her hands together. "Now, then. I've got cooking to do." She moved back into the kitchen, resuming her baking. I moved to go upstairs when my mother called me out once more. "Oh, and Christian, bring Keegan over sometime, won't you?" She gave me a soft smile, the corners of her eyes crinkling. 

I grinned. "Yeah, I will."

---

The next day, after school, Keegan and I met again to practice. He looked even less enthusiastic than he had last time, if that was possible. He kicked at the ground with his foot, looking absolutely adorable while doing it. Honestly, it should be illegal to be that cute. While I admired him, I hadn't even realized he'd noticed until he called my name. "-stian... Christian?"

I shook my head, snapping out of my daze. "What?"

He peered up at me through his bangs, his cheeks slightly red. "Aren't we going to start?" He pulled at the hem of his shirt, looking around nervously. I stared at him, realizing this was the first time I'd seen him so close. His long brown hair shook as he turned his head, glancing around. His lips were red and wet from his nervous biting, and his blue eyes were wide. His small form just barely kept from being swallowed by his uniform. Overall, he looked... Sexy.

"Christian!" I pulled back, not even realizing I'd moved closer. he tucked his hair behind his ear, coughing nervously. 

I shook my head. I can't just force my feeling on him just because he's so darn cute. I have to focus on why we're really here. "Right. Let's begin?"

He nodded, looking confused and worried before turning around and grabbing the ball from the ground.

---

By the time we'd finished, I felt bad about Keegan, his face red and flushed and his breathing labored. He stood for a moment, a dazed look on his face before we began to walk back to the lockers. "Keegan," He turned, and I loved saying his name. "I'll catch up, okay?" 

He nodded, turning to enter the locker room. I sighed, slumping down against the side of the gym. I have to focus! I spent the whole time ogling Keegan instead of training him! Just because he's my love interest, doesn't mean I can just get distracted by everything he does. 

Shaking my head, I got up and went into the locker room. As soon as I walked in, I spotted Keegan and froze. "Keegan..." He whirled around, surprised. "... Isn't that... My shirt?"