Chapter 4

Christian's POV

Who is that guy? What is his relationship with the boy? Are they together?

I growled, angry for not having any answers to my questions. All I knew was he is important to the boy. Close to him, from the way he so easily touched him. The way the boy looked at him, with trust and happiness... It made my chest burn with jealousy.

I walked up to Nick the next day, hoping to find out at least one piece of information. "Hey, Nick!"

Nick pulled out of his liplock with one of his call girls, turning to me. "Yeah man, 'sup?"

"Can I talk to you?"

Nick pushed the girl away, making her scowl as she stomped off. "Yeah, what do ya need?"

"Well, you know that... Boy you're always waiting for, at the bus loop? Who is he?"

Nick's face contorted with disgust. "That boy? That's Jones, the only gay in school. Disgusting, right?"

"Jones? Is that his first name?"

"No. That's his last name."

"What's his first name?"

"Who the hell knows. Who cares, for that matter. Come on, man. Anyway, are you coming tonight or not? I got some girls who want to meet you."

"... No thanks."

I scowled, annoyed that my search resulted in almost nothing. Well, I suppose his last name is okay. For now. I'd like to know his first name, though. But, I also found out another piece of information. He's gay. It would make it a lot easier to try and get close with my... Motives. Except, he seems to avoid the football team like the plague. Frankly, I don't blame him. After being at the bus loop with the team these two days, I can obviously see that they are jerks to the boy.

Class let out for lunch, and I saw an opportunity speak to the boy. He always runs off and hides somewhere, but if I can stop him at his locker, I can ask for his name.

Fortunately, his locker is three away from mine, so all I had to do was wait at my locker until he showed up. And he did show up. Once the crowds had dispersed and everyone was at lunch, he peeked into the hallway from an empty classroom, slowly making his way to his locker.

He turned the dial, clicking open his locker and grabbing his lunch. His locker, unlike mine, was undecorated with pictures and papers. Nothing was in his locker except for a few notebooks and his book bag. Overall, it was pretty plain. I thought of my own locker, forcibly pasted with football pictures and such.

He only seemed to notice me when he closed his locker, freezing up and eyeing me carefully. He glanced around, either looking for Nick or for a way to leave. I pushed off the lockers, causing him to flinch. He turned to leave as I called out to him. "Wait! Don't go, please."

The boy looked around, as if hoping to see the person I'm really addressing. When he found no one, his face paled and his eyebrows furrowed. "M-... Me?"

His voice was soft, beautiful, graceful. I resisted the urge to pull him close and forced myself to speak. "Yes, you."

"What... Do you want?"

He didn't try to step on my pride, as he had with Nick, and instead looked nervous. I could tell he was afraid of us both, but not afraid to try and stand up to Nick. What made me different?

"Well... I... I want to know your name!!"

He froze, looking surprised and suspicious of my words. I, on the other hand, congratulated myself for saying it straight out. I looked up, hopeful, just as he turned away. "... No."

"What?! Why not?!"

"Why do you want to know?"

"B-... Because, I-"

"Aha!! I found you, Jones."

Nick paraded into the hallway, coming up next to me. He leaned against my shoulder, smirking at the boy. "Thanks for keeping him out of his hiding place, Christian. Wouldn't have been able to find him if you hadn't."

The boy looked at me with hatred, turning away from both of us. My heart clenched as I glared at Nick. As usual, his rude attitude ruined everything. Not only is he afraid of me, now he's never going to trust me, either. This was the first real conversation I've had with him, and it'll probably be the last.

---

After lunch, the boy said nothing to me as I watched him pick himself off the ground after Nick was done with him. I reached down to help, and he slapped my hand away, glaring daggers at me.

During gym, as we changed into our uniforms, I stared at the small back of the boy. He changed quietly and then slipped out into the gym. 

I wasn't sure what to do. I've never had this much trouble getting someone to like me. I've never had any trouble at all! Whether it's because of my looks, my popularity, or my being on the football team, everyone, for one reason or another, wanted to get to know me.

The coach had us doing stretches, pulling me to the side to discuss the game from the other day. "Those were some nice moves out there, Nelson. Great teamwork, too."

"Thanks, coach Wilbur."

The coach, Wilbur, blew his wistle and we lined up. Several others from the team, including Nick, Tom, Benny, and Steven, lined up next to me. "Okay everyone! Partner up, we're starting football season. We'll do some passes today." Naturally, Tom and Steven paired up together. Some would think they were a couple, had Steven not been dating a girl from another high school. Nick came over to me as I turned to the boy. I sighed mentally. "Wanna partner up?"

"Oh, well, you see-"

"Not cool, Nick. Didn't ya say you were gonna be my partner?" Benny cut in, looking at Nick.

Nick sighed at Benny. "Alright. Just don't break your arm trying to catch my throws. Sorry, Chris."

"Don't call me that."

I looked over triumphantly to see that the boy had no partner. Not wanting to lose this opportunity, I ran over to him. He had his back turned when I came up, so I tapped his back gently. He jumped, turning to me. "Do... Do you want to be my partner?"

A/N: Sorry for the long wait, I've been busy lately with preparing for a family trip. That being said, it will be a while before I can update again, since I'll be out of country. I'll try to update during the trip, but make no promises. I'll be gone a month, so if I don't update during the trip the next update will be sometime in August. This goes for all of my stories, so I'll try to update them as well before I leave. Sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope you enjoyed the update!